Can Form 1040 (with SSN) be an alternative SSN proof in applying an MA driver's permit?

J

Jefferie

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hi, I'm a new immigrant and trying to get a driver's license in MA. But I forgot to bring social security card with me when came to MA and do not have other related government-issued social security proofs. One official document at hand is a Form 1040 (pdf file) that has my SSN on it. I'm not sure if the RMV officers will accept it as an SSN proof or not. I have all the documents ready and this is the only proof I miss. Any advice or help would be highly appreciated.

One official document at hand is a Form 1040 (pdf file) that has my SSN on it. I'm not sure if the RMV officers will accept it as an SSN proof or not.

No way. Anybody can fill out a 1040 with an SSN and make a pdf out of it. It's not evidence of identity.

Apparently you need the following to apply for a Massachusetts driver license:

• Your out-of-state driver's license.
    • You will need a photo ID AND a certified driving record no more than 30 days old IF:
      • Your driver's license doesn't have a picture.
        OR
      • You do not have your current driver's license.
  • A certified driving record no more than 30 days old IF your driver's license is from Canada, Mexico, or a U.S. territory.
  • Proof of your signature, such as your:
    • U.S. passport.
    • Loan or lease documents.
    • Marriage certificate.
  • Proof of your MA residency, such as your:
    • Mortgage or lease documents.
    • Home or renters insurance policy.
    • Utility bill up to 60 days old.
  • Your Social Security number.

It appears that you don't need a social security "card" just the number if you have all the other documents that are required.

Back