Criminal Law Can Florida felony conviction bar possible dual Canadian citizenship for US citizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah123

My jurisdiction is: Florida

My jurisdiction is: Florida

My friend is a senior citizen who was born in Canada before 1977. She came to Florida from Canada in the 1950's and received her American citizenship (probably around 1968). She has only one arrest in her life but unfortunately it is a felony conviction in 1981 for which she spent three years in a Florida prison. She was released sometime in the 1980's. Other than this unfortunate period she has no criminal record, not even a traffic ticket. In order to receive her American citizenship in the 1960's it was necessary to renounce her citizenship to another country. By swearing allegiance to the United States her Canadian citizenship was automatically revoked. I understand that the law revoking citizenship to someone born in Canada may have been changed. Would it be possible for her to receive dual citizenship even though she has a felony conviction? Thank you

I'm not sure - this might be an issue if she revoked her Canadian citizenship. My understanding is that being a US citizen means you renounce citizenship elsewhere but it doesn't necessarily mean you must take steps to renounce your citizenship elsewhere (passive not active act of renunciation.) Has your friend checked to see what her status is in Canada? The following web site should provide contact information for your convenience. Canada Immigration and Naturalization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back