Can airlines reject late boarding passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyratian

How about I checked in but boarded a little late than expected time, only 1 minute? Does airlines has the right to reject its passengers so that the passenger has to wait for 16 hours for the next flight? And he has to pay the additional charge for the new ticket as the previous is a discounted one. But the next flight is in midnight and has many available seats. Is it fair? Any air transportation law/regulations to support? Tks.

Read the terms of the ticket. I remember reading on my last United Airlines ticket a close that gives them the right to give away your seat unless you board until such and such a time. By buying the ticket you agree to the terms.

I just saw this happen on that airport reality show, I think it was on TLC...

In most cases, the airline has every right to refuse your boarding if you arrive late. It is at their discression to give you a shot at the next flight, or they may make you buy a new ticket.

Thanks. But what's TLC? And you mean they have the right to decide whether to charge additional or not?

Originally posted by lyratian
How about I checked in but boarded a little late than expected time, only 1 minute? Does airlines has the right to reject its passengers so that the passenger has to wait for 16 hours for the next flight? And he has to pay the additional charge for the new ticket as the previous is a discounted one. But the next flight is in midnight and has many available seats. Is it fair? Any air transportation law/regulations to support? Tks.
As was said before, look at the terms of your purchase. Given the immense concern with security timing issues are critical these days and in many cases you will be locked out of getting a ticket if you try to check in any less than 30 minutes prior to the flight time you will likely be locked out automatically by the computer. There is no promise of remedy if you are late, which is something that technically is in your control.

Thanks Professor, do u mean that I could not ask questions here?

But I did saw many consultations here. Thanks for giving me help!

My problem is a little different from what you always emphasized, as I checked in on time to confirm my reservation but did not catch the boarding. There should be many reasons for my late between the check-in counter and boarding gate; but anyway I admitted it is my fault not to mend my pace. So the problem left was that why the airlines charge me additional fare for my taking the next flight. They attributed it to the discount rate they gave me for the missed flight. But I did not mean to miss their flight or intend to take a better one. And I confirmed my seat during check-in to show my strong intention to take the flight. The airlines did have too many available seats in the next midnight flight. Do they have any legal supports to treat me so or it's their right to determine? If I sue, any possibility of win?

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back