Can a TASC agent reveal medical records to government agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinPhara

I recently pled guilty to a marijuana charge. I was placed on probation. As part of my probation, I was sentenced to go for a drug abuse evaluation. I was allowed to go to any certified treatment center of my choosing. I went to a private center, took a drug test, passed the test, and got sentenced to 20 hours of treatment. I had already quit smoking for 4 months so I went to TASC (a government funded drug screen) for a second opinion. The screener said I failed my drug test. She then asked me to sign a stack of paperwork giving her consent to talk to my probation officer. I told her that I was not going to sign the documents and would take my first evaluation. She then called my probation officer anyway and divulged the test results. Is this legal?

Were you ordered by your probation officer to take the second test?

No, she approved that I could get a second opinion and gave me the number to call and set the appointment.

Why did you take a second test if you did not want your probation officer to know the results?

Why did you take a second test if you did not want your probation officer to know the results?

There was no-way it could have been positive. I have taken tests every 3-4 weeks through the probation office. I passed them all. I have not used marijuana since September. I took a probation test less than a week later and passed. My probation officer said the instant test that the lady used had produced false positives before. His exact word were, "I don't trust those tests." The problem is not that I would not have told the officer anyway. It is that this lady felt it was her duty to call and reveal this information. It was the fact that she sent sometime going over the paperwork and told me she could not discuss this evaluation with my PO, any judge, attorney, treatment facility or police officer without my signature. She had also discussed my case with the DA prior to my assessment. When I walked in the door, she told my she was told she needed to give me hours. I should not have even taken the test since she had already made a decision. I thought if she saw the test was negative she may have to give me a more fair analysis. The judge ordered me to an assessment, not treatment. The other person charged in this case received no hour from her assessment. She discussed her case with me and told me if she had spoken to the DA prior to the other person's evaluation, she would have recommended at least 20 hours for her as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back