Can a community challenge their County's construction plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tke1now

I live on a quiet residential street. Recently the county purchased 40 acres of wooded land at the end of the street. The street is a dead end. There are approximately 30 houses total on this street. Evidently the Board of Education picks where they want to build schools by throwing darts at a map of the county because we recently learned they are planning to build 3 schools on this property, and route all school and school bus traffic through this quiet neighborhood. The residents are all furious and want to stop the county from proceeding with their plans. They have drawings and plans etc, and they have cleared the trees off of the land, but no actual construction has begun.
I researched some information on the county's web site, and they would have to rezone this land in order to put a school on it. And from what I gather, any time land is to be rezoned, letters are to be sent out to property owners adjacent and across from the land to be rezoned. No letters have been sent. We requested a meeting with a representitive of the board of education's construction planner and we were all told that the schools will be built on this land and there is nothing that any of you can do to stop it. Please tell me there is something that we as a group of residents on this street can do that will stop this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back