can a closed case be refiled, I perfected service they said i didnt

Dawn Pohlmann

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My case was closed, I perfected service and they said I had not. The court computer was hacked, so I was not able to file into the case for weeks as system out, I filed a motion for jurisdiction, in pauper, review, and summary judgement. then the case was closed later in day. I went to court no one there I call clerk says that it was closed. No notice to me, I had papers in before the order was complete. So do they not have to review them before closing case?

So do they not have to review them before closing case?

Not if you miss the deadline for filing the documents. The deadlines are there for a reason: to get the litigation resolved in a reasonable period of time. So were they filed on time? Whether you may refile the case depends on (1) the reason why the court closed the case, (2) whether the statute of limitations for filing the claim has passed, (3) the applicable court rules and (4) why you missed the deadline or can prove you did file the documents timely. Not knowing those details I cannot say whether you would succeed in refiling/reopening the case. If you are unsure what to do at this point then I think it's time for you to head to an attorney who does contract litigation to help you.

Back