Camera at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrypostman

My friends and I work at Walmart, (we are Cart pushers) and we made a video, kind of a documentary of what we do, as a joke. Walmart is mentioned, it and it shows the outside of the store and people wearing their walmart uniforms. The camera was never used inside the store and we weren't doing anything against walmarts policy... if this video was to get on the internet, would they have the grounds to sue, I would not be selling or distributing the video and it is not hurting their buisiness in any way. Or if it was illegal, is there some sort of legal disclaimer I could ad to prevent this from happening? Do I need to blur anything out? thanks

It's difficult to say what Walmart would do but I would find it doubtful they would sue you. I can't see any major damages and at worst they'd probably send you a cease and desist letter if it angered them -- whether or not they had a right to compel you to take it down. It may have been filmed while on the premises of Walmart even though not in the store, etc. I'm not quite sure Walmart could assert claims even as such but the bottom line here I think is addressing the risk factor and I think that without more facts it would seem that the risk of financial liability is probably small. Note that this is just my opinion from my experience and I don't know all the details of your film.

For the most part on the Internet the protection of intellectual property rights is enforced the most, e.g. Disney vigilantly pursues those who use unauthorized Disney property. Also Getty is very well known for going for the jugular with unlicensed stock photos. Good luck with your film career. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back