California Traffic Citation (Speeding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmo

I need some information dealing with speeding citations in the state of california.

I was pulled over for speeding 80 in a 65. I sent in payment with a request for "trial by declaration." I sent in all the paperwork on time and forget about the ticket for the next three months. I get a letter in the mail from the court saying "GUILTY." In my declaration I ask for traffic school, but in the letter from the court there is no such mention of traffic school; just a guilty notice. I would now like to request traffic school so I dont get hit with higher insurance and the traffic court operator suggested a "judges consideration?". Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do, besides write a letter begging the judge to give me traffic school? This could save me over a thousand bucks in insurance. Thanks.

You first have to request a new trial as outlined in the papers you received from court. Be sure to send it CRRR and within the time limit. Then show up on your court date and try to take traffic school. Some judges will not allow traffic school after a Trial by Declaration.

If he does not allow traffic school then you need to have your defense prepared for trial.

I am past the deadline for filing for a trial de novo. What are my options now that I cant have a new trial. I turn 25 next year so I know my insurance premiums are going to go down, but with this speeding ticket (how many points?) my insurance will go up for a long time (5 years).

lwpat said:
You have no options. It is one point on your record.

One point is no biggie on your record.
I cost me about $200 a year through Mercury Insurance in CA. I live in San Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back