buying house with girlfriend, now parted ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg123

My girlfriend and I signed a contract for a house purchase which was to settle on 8/29 and contingencies lifted by 8/15.
When we applied for the home loan we were told that she has very bad credit, however my credit was excellent therefore we decided we would put the loan in my name and get a legal contract drawn up which indicates we were liable for 50% of the debt each.
She head no money to put up front for the inspections or down payment until her house sale settled in LA on 9/3. I paid for all the inspections on the house which amounted to almost $2000. We have since decided against the purchase and have parted ways.
My concern is that she owes me almost $1000 to cover her share of the inspections. I sent her an email to ask her for the money and discovered she has blocked my emails therefore I sent another email from a different email account of mine, which wasnt returned and I also sent her a letter with a copy of the email. I have not heard anything from her.
What are my chances of getting the money back and is it worth taking out legal action. I am also concerned that when her house settles on 9/3 I will have no way of getting in touch with her.

You could take her to small claims court if you want, ... did the legal 50/50 contract ever get written up? Is there proof she was supposed to pay half? Or is it all in your name? Obviously she has intentions of blowing you off, which explains why she has bad credit. Or you could just chalk it up to a loss and forget about her and move on. People who pull that shit are worthless.

Those inspections are really expensive! Where are you? I think that "redhed" is right, unless there is documentation, there really is nothing you can do legally. You might want to be thankful that the house didn't go through and that you didn't end up with a 200K debt shared with her.

I bought a house w/ a bf and we split. He bought me out and things actually worked our alright. Would I do it again? Hell no!! I want the whole thing in my name or to be married. There just aren't enough laws to help "partner" situations. Maybe some day the laws will catch up with society.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back