Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication busted inside of my apt. with pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegolfnut

aight now heres my thing. i know this seems long but its a long story. it was Friday April 22, 2005 and we were having a party at mine and my roommate's apartment in troy alabama. there was 8 people in the room, six guys and 2 girls and it was a fairly large thing we had going on. we had been all around the town that night at a couple of other houses and whatnot but thats beside the point. we came back to our residence at approximately 12:00 because the place that we were at before we werent sure if we could smoke a couple bowls. all of us except my cousin was under 21 (he is 23) and we were just havin a good time playin mario kart etc and smokin a couple bowls and drinkin some beers. one of my friends started to get a lil too tipsy so we took his bacardi away from him and he got upset about it... so the girls that were with us told him that if he streaked around the apartment building that they would give it back to him. him and my cousin did so and came back in and everything was cool, he got his bacardi back and we went back to playing mario kart. about 20 minutes later there was a knock at the door and my roommate went to get it. as he was fixing to open the door he noticed the door knob was already turning so he didnt have time to look through the peephole and he cracked the door open and there were 3 officers outside the door saying that they got a call about some streakers (if it would of beenme i would of opened the door of course but i would of never let them in). well next thing you know they walk on in to our apartment and one of the officers says "aight... who in here has been smokin weed?" no one answered and he said it again. still no one answered and he walks over to the couch about 8 feet away from me a picks up one of the cushions on the back and finds my black zip bag that i keep my reefer in. he then asked whos it was and fearful that he would try and blame it on the girl that was sitting on it i said that it was mine. he then proceeded to open the bag and said "ok whats this inside?" and of course i said marijuana (maybe 1 1/2 grams at the most). so then he walked over and told me to put my hands behind my head and he patted me down and removed my wallet from my back pocket and got my license out and everything. he then cuffed me. after cuffing me he decided to read us our miranda rights. the cops then began to give everyone a breathilizer test and they said and i quote "if they blow they go." so they started i belive with my roommate (could be mistaken)and worked their way around. while one officer was giving the breathilizers another officer was patting down my cousin who had probably a 15 sack on his person and a pipe. he got cuffed and me and him both were told to sit down in the floor. a few minutes later he told me to stand up and he told me and my roommate to sign a paper which would allow them to search our apartment. just wanting to get it over with we both did it and one officer went back in my room and began to look through my stuff. i turned my head around the corner into my room and politely asked the officer if i could be in there with him while he was seaching through my stuff and he complied. so i stood up and went back with him into my room. (of course they found nothing else because we didnt have anything else) while i was back there was when they were getting around to giving everyone a breathilizer. luckily for me because of asking to be in my room while it was being searched they forgot to give me one but they gave everyone else in the apartment one. it just so happens that one of the girls was the neice of one of the shariffs around here and they let her call her mom and her mom came and picked her up. as i said earlier the cops stated that "if you blow you go." well she blew and she was underaged but they let her off because she was a relative of a sheriff. in all that night five poeple were arrested and taked to jail. me, my cousin, and my roommate were charged with possession of marijuana, my cousin was also charged with possession of paraphenalia, and one of the girls and the other who went streaking earlier was charged with minor in possession of alcohol. just to help heres the exact words of my police report "_________ admitted that the bag that he was sitting on and the green leafy plant-like meterial inside was his after being mirandarized. This offense occoured at ___________ within the city limits of troy AL." thats the story so now heres the questions.

1.) they came over beacuse they got a call for streakers. did they have the right to enter our residence? ive done a little homework on some of this and there was a case similar to this a few years ago. i believe it was Mapp Vs. Idaho. police entered Mapp's house without a warrant because they had a call that someone that they were looking for was hiding out in the house or something like that i cant really remember. in the process of looking for whatever or whoever it was they were looking for they came across lewd meterials which Mapp owned stored in a chest and a few things even in the basement. they arested her for possesion of lewd meterials and she was later convicted. they appealed the case on the grounds that the officers performed an illegal search and seizure beacause 1. they didnt have a warrant and 2. their intentions were to find information or a person or somethin, not to find lewd meterials. to relate back to my story the cops came by for streaking, entered my residence and arrested no one for their initial purpose.
2.) my confession was before i was read my miranda rights and if i am not mistaken, my confession wouldnt be valid in a court of law because of this. also though on the police report it said that my confession was after we were read our rights. how would i go about proving that it wasnt?
3.)the report stated that i was sitting on the black bag which is a complete and utter lie. i know about the whole plain view thing or whatever and yet again if i am not mistaken if they didnt have a warrant to enter and search my residence and my pot wasnt in plain sight they cant move things and look under things to find proof of a suspicion. not only was it behind a couch cushion, it was completely zipped up. isnt that an illegal search and seizure? and the same goes for my roommate. his weed was in a crown royal bag under the coffee table and they basically did the same thing to him as what they did to me and the sad part for him was he didnt even have but mabe 1/4 of a gram.
4.) do officers have the right to not charge someone if they are related to a higher ranking officer? in the case of the girl that was let go because she was the neice of a shariff or somethin.
I am only 19 and i can plea youthful offender and it will be dropped off of my record, but to me its not about just being free... its about me feeling that my rights have been alienated and even though i was in the wrong for possession of marijuana i feel what the cops did was definitely not right by using scare tactics to provoke a premature confession.
if someone would please get back to me ASAP. i dont have much money but if i feel that i have enough evidence in my favor to prove my case then i will hire a lawyer and fight it. IMA GET MINE!!!!!

Busted inside apt

Sounds like a bum deal, not sure if you have a case, because I am not a lawyer yet, but look into the following and read the tips below to protect yourself and your friends in the future. The ACLU has put together police encounter tips, and if you believe that your civil liberties were squelched, you should contact them regarding your case. They have real good lawyers and do a lot of Pro-Bono work.

Here's my take:
1.) Opening the door was the first mistake, if they were turning the knob, you should have let them opening it all the way, making invalid everything else they found and did. If they can establish probable cause to a judge (smelled marijuana coming directly from the room maybe they could prove their right to come in without being invited.

2.) This makes your entire confession invalid, but you probably continued to talk about pot after being marandized... A good lawyer may be able to create a case for you.

3.)Again, a good lawyer may be able to create a case from this. They should have never began searching the premesis, and you should have never signed anything letting them.

4.) Police have the ability to charge offenses at their discretion. Nepitism at it's finest, but I believe it to be legal, they can claim she was not partaking in the said activities and was released to her guardian. You could try bringing it up with the sheriff or police department, making a formal complaint, but it would probably be bad for your friend.

If you desire the court experience, since this is a criminal suit, you can be court-appointed a lawyer for your defense, saving some $$. Scare tactics are what cops do best, it is one of their secret powers of being an authority figure (with a gun and baton).

Some Tips:

Be polite and respectful. Never bad-mouth a police officer.

Stay calm and in control of your words, body language and emotions.

We all recognize the need for effective law enforcement, but we should also understand our own rights and responsibilities -- especially in our relationships with the police. Everyone, including minors, has the right to courteous and respectful police treatment.

If your rights are violated, don't try to deal with the situation at the scene. You can discuss the matter with an attorney afterwards, or file a complaint with the Internal Affairs or Civilian Complaint Board.

IF YOU HAVE A POLICE ENCOUNTER, YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF.
1. What you say to the police is always important. What you say can be used against you, and it can give the police an excuse to arrest you, especially if you bad-mouth a police officer.

2. You don't have to answer a police officer's questions, but you must show your driver's license and registration when stopped in a car. In other situations, you can't legally be arrested for refusing to identify yourself to a police officer.

3. You don't have to consent to any search of yourself, your car or your house. If you DO consent to a search, it can affect your rights later in court. If the police say they have a search warrant, ASK TO SEE IT.

4. Do not interfere with, or obstruct the police -- you can be arrested for it.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING
1. It's not a crime to refuse to answer questions, but refusing to answer can make the police suspicious about you. You can't be arrested merely for refusing to identify yourself on the street.

2. Police may "pat-down" your clothing if they suspect a concealed weapon. Don't physically resist, but make it clear that you don't consent to any further search.

3. Ask if you are under arrest. If you are, you have a right to know why.

4. Don't bad-mouth the police officer or run away, even if you believe what is happening is unreasonable. That could lead to your arrest.

IN YOUR HOME
1. If the police knock and ask to enter your home, you don't have to admit them unless they have a warrant signed by a judge.

2. However, in some emergency situations (like when a person is screaming for help inside, or when the police are chasing someone) officers are allowed to enter and search your home without a warrant.

3. If you are arrested, the police can search you and the area close by. If you are in a building, "close by" usually means just the room you are in.

IF YOU'RE ARRESTED OR TAKEN TO A POLICE STATION
1. You have the right to remain silent and to talk to a lawyer before you talk to the police. Tell the police nothing except your name and address. Don't give any explanations, excuses or stories. You can make your defense later, in court, based on what you and your lawyer decide is best.

2. Ask to see a lawyer immediately. If you can't pay for a lawyer, you have a right to a free one, and should ask the police how the lawyer can be contacted. Don't say anything without a lawyer.

3. Within a reasonable time after your arrest, or booking, you have the right to make a local phone call: to a lawyer, bail bondsman, a relative or any other person. The police may not listen to the call to the lawyer.

4. Sometimes you can be released without bail, or have bail lowered. Have your lawyer ask the judge about this possibility. You must be taken before the judge on the next court day after arrest.

5. Do not make any decisions in your case until you have talked with a lawyer.

i am a law studented not a lawer so my word shouldnt be taken as the law but from what i read in books and seen in cases they did skip a few corners and re-word the truth and so forth but they have enough evidance to prove your guilty with out the things they did wrong. including letting the girl off. NEPITISM IS ILLEGAL! ITS A FORM OF POLICE CORRUPTION! but if they didnt file charges they can always say it was for another reason (i.e. she has no previouse record, she was vary cooperative, appeard to be remorsefull) because it is at there descretion who they do and dont file charges against.

they went to your house because of a complaint about streaking, but believe it or not marijuna has an extreamly destinct and strong smell that it can be smelled from the street of the house its being smoked in...which if they could smell it would give them probable cause to enter and search . smelling drugs would make this an EXTINGENT SITUATION meaning that illigal activity was going on but if they took the time to get a warrent the evidance can be removed or destroyed. they do however still have the responsibility of knocking and announcing before entering but your friend answered the door so techincly they where let in.

the thing about the confession before your rights where read, normaly yea you might have a case but you did willingly confess and again they had enough there that your confession wasnt needed. that normaly only flys when a confession is obtained and thats the only thing there going on.

also court apointed lawers have heavy case loads at any given point and when someone is obviously guilty of the crime their accused of they highly recomend plea bargining to save their time and the time of the courts. thats not saying there not capable they just normaly dont waist there times with open and shut cases.

and to number 3, you dont have to consent to search...thats absolutly true you dont but it can be held against you and if the officer has probable cause but not your consent the search is legal even if there is no warrent. (terry v ohio, vary similar case)

if you are thinking about fighting any charges always consult an attorney before doing so, they can save you alot of time and money in the long run. also always be presentable and remember cases where offenses are overturned because of technicalitys are not the norm and are only done so because there was nothing else to go on besides evidance derived from that illegal activity. if with out that your guilt can still be proved then the officer gets a slap on the wrist and your still convected.

after court date

yeah just fyi, after my court date and everything i pleaded youthful offender and they gave me basically the same sentence as my cousin and this was his second offense for possession. i got 1 year unsupervised probation, a 500 dollar fine, i have to take a drug awareness class which is gonna cost about 150 dollars and they suspended my drivers license for 6 months. just wondering is there any way that i can appeal it because they gave me basically the same sentence as someone with a second offense and not pleadi9ng youthful offender... when i went to jail on the night of the bust everone there said that they would suspend my license for 3 months and i would get probably a 250 dollar fine plus court costs and i would have to take the class... i know this is just another way for them to get money into the system. i am not a happy camper right now just because of the fact that the only differnce between my case and my cousins which was a second offense case was that he got 2 years of probation. i really dont think that is was a fair deal. someone get back to me please. and by the way, my roommate went to the police department and they said that he just got charged with possession of parephenalia but then me and himn went bacvk the same day and they somehow changed it and said that he was charged with possession of marijuana. like ol' dude said in a reply this is just a bum deal i guess... im not sure that i can make it 6 months with a suspended drivers license because my mom is on disability and she physically cant get a job because of her health condition, and not to mention i have a 3 year old baby brother and the only income we have right now is my stepdad's and disability and child support that my other step dad is paying. i heard that if i appeal it then it would go to a federal court and i know that if it goes that far the federal laws are much more strict than our state laws because i live in alabama... which isnt much t0o say because our state laws are pretty strict as they are. peace out and get back to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back