Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Busted For Theft Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

petty

ok well pretty much i was busted for stealing an article of clothing that was priced at 40 dollars, i was arrested booked and released in a matter of hours. i know i can not erase it from my record and its a misdemeanor, but i have heard since it is less that 50 dollars it can be considered being reduced to an infraction. but i don't know how to do this. Do i plead guilty, or no contest? do i bring up the idea of it being reduced to an infraction to the judge or do they decide that themselves. i have no prior record. Do i try and meet with the district attorney? Currently i am not considering getting a lawyer, do i need to have one? i just don't know the best way to keep my future looking bright and not grim? any help anyone has i would appreciate i just sort of feel like if i don't approach this right, i will be screwing myself.. thanks so much

i have also been reading alot about pre-trial intervention and it being erased if one qualifies for this what can i do to go about this or should i. i am thinking i need to plead guilty and just take what the judge gives me but i don't know since i have no lawyer..AHHHH somone please help me.

Do not go to court without legal help

If you cannot afford a lawyer ask the judge to provide one for you. If you have the means to get one do so because it will be worth it. Spend a little time interviewing a few of them untill you find one that can deal with the issues you raise. If you don't you are going to regret it later.

so i need a lawyer prior to the arrignment or only after the arrignement before the trial date? thats what i mean i just don't understand what the difference will be if i go to my arrignement and plead guilty will the judge give me a more harsh punishment versus if i have a lawyer and wait until a trial? basically what will happen if i show up to my first court date with only myself and plead guilty? i know no one can say exactly but versus showing up with no lawyer? thanks again.

Lawyer before arraignment

petty said:
so i need a lawyer prior to the arrignment or only after the arrignement before the trial date? thats what i mean i just don't understand what the difference will be if i go to my arrignement and plead guilty will the judge give me a more harsh punishment versus if i have a lawyer and wait until a trial? basically what will happen if i show up to my first court date with only myself and plead guilty? i know no one can say exactly but versus showing up with no lawyer? thanks again.

Even though you are guilty as sin -- it is still the law of the land for the prosecutor to prove that you stole. A very good attorney can get a plea deal for you so that you agree to have commited a lesser offense. Basically -- your attorney will enter a plea of not guilty to the charge of theft. Then he will discuss with the prosecutor the possibility of a lesser offense being charged instead -- which you will agree to have committed. This is totally permissible in law and that is how the rich sometimes get away with murder:(

I hope that you are learning a valuable lesson fron this fiasco. My intent is not to encourage you to repeat your offense. Mine is not to judge you but -- understand that what you did was wrong. Having said that -- the next best thing you can do for yourself is get a good lawyer before the arraignment and get your loved ones to pitch in and get you a good defense.

The expense of getting this behind you is also going to be a good deterrent when the temptation arises ever again. Either way -- you are going to pay for what you did:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back