Business sold me a defective car product/warrenty & disappeared....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppnj4

During the spring my engine blew. My mechanic sold me on a used engine for $2000. During installation he provided, for an extra $150, a year long warranty to cover it that he wrote out on his business letter head. As it turns out the engine he installed was bad, the amount of miles on it was questionable, and now we are being told by Pep Boys there is so much wrong with it that we have to replace it for $2000. I've already put $500 into repairs. I want him to replace it or refund my money (per warranty) but he up and disappeared from his shop. He left quickly, cleaning out his shop, and with out providing anyone with contact information. I know his first and last name but have not been able to find anything new on him. Can I start a small court claim with just his name and no personal or business contact information? Can I place a complaint with the BBB with out contact information? What if any is my recourse options? I don't have the money to replace the engine or buy a new car...and I'm angry he stiffed us.

You can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but honestly, they have limited power to do much of anything.

In order for you to file against him in Small Claims court, you would need to know both his name and where he resides (or, in some states, works) so he can be served with this notice that you've filed a lawsuit against him.

Have you done some Internet searches in an attempt to find him?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back