Building Insurance for leaseholders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianNeedsHelp

I need some advice urgently.
There are three flats in my block (ground, first, second floor) and each occupant is the owner of their flat. All the flats are leashold. I own one flat and have noticed that the landlord/freeholder who, according to our lease is responsible for organising building insurance, has quoted EACH flat in the region of £400 for building insurance this year. This has been increased by about £40-50 a year.
A simple search of two insurance companies on the internet have quoted in the region of £120-150 for my flat for just building insurance. One has quoted £190 for combined building and contents covering £1million buildings and £15,000 contents, small excess).
The landlord is obviously grossly exploiting our flats as there is absolutely no way it can be a combined £1200 to cover a standard 3 floor block of flats for just building insurance.
I need to find out the following:
- Do I have to take the building insurance from the landlord/freeholder?
- Some friends have suggested that there may be a Leaseholder Act passed which allows leaseholders to arrange their own building insurance. Is this such an Act or other legal option I can use?
- Is the a independent tribunal I can contact?
- Is there anything I can do so that we, the flatowners, can arrange our own building insurance?

Many thanks for reading this and for any advice you can offer.
Thankyou,
Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back