Builder asking for more money after we have closed the sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeteus

We recently had a home built and moved in about 3 weeks ago. Two situations have come up. One is that someone in the builders employ omitted a faucet we had upgraded when we did our colour selections. We have proof that we sent the upgrades and extras sheet signed and dated to the builder the same day we received it. Yet they are asking us to pay for it to have it installed. We don't think we should have to pay for it because they made a mistake. The other one is that the builders lawyer did not charge for any of the upgrades or extras, they omitted the charge on the statement of adjustments sheet sent to our lawyers. Now they have sent an amended statement of adjustments asking us to send them a certified check for that amount. We don't think we should pay for their mistake either. The total amount is $1,660, a small amount in comparison to the total cost of the house but it was not expected and therefore not budgeted for.

If you fail to pay, prepare for your credit to be dinged and them to sue you.
Mistake or not, you received something you haven't compensated the builder for doing.
Come on, pony up the $1,600, it's the right thing to do.
Mistakes happen, move on, it isn't worth the time, hassle, or aggravation in my book.
If it is in yours, tell them to go away. They might, if they don't, trouble is coming.

Thanks for the advice. Our Realtor is the one who advised us not to pay, I'm not sure if the laws in Texas are similar to the ones in Ontario but what you're saying is the way I feel. They just haven't been very professional towards us with these issues lately and our frustration and anger may be clouding our judgement. It's always good to get a few opinions, and then make an informed decision. I'm glad I haven't responded to the builder yet.

Thanks for the advice. Our Realtor is the one who advised us not to pay, I'm not sure if the laws in Texas are similar to the ones in Ontario but what you're saying is the way I feel. They just haven't been very professional towards us with these issues lately and our frustration and anger may be clouding our judgement. It's always good to get a few opinions, and then make an informed decision. I'm glad I haven't responded to the builder yet.

This isn't a legal issue.
You should avoid legal issues when you can.
This is a moral issue.
You know what you should do.
What would you do if you received $200 change, when you should have received $20 change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back