Brother in law stealing money from Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbaezjr

My Father in law passed away 8 years ago. He left two bank accounts for his two children. My wife and her brother. Both accounts were placed in Their moms care with one for her to live on and the other for inheritance for both my wife and brother. It was left their for future. Mom did not want him to know about the money because she did not trust her son. He was given several thousand dollars as was my wife. They live in New york and we live in ohio. He is 38 years old and managed to convince her to move the money from the inheritance account to another account which had his name on it. He has depleted that account, has nothing to show for it and we have forgiven him for Mom's sake because of her health. He has taken a life insurance policy out on her without her knowing. He recently has moved money from her savings to her checking and has attempted to write himself a check forging her signature. The bank understanding the situation has changed all account information and pin numbers but she refuses to do anything about it. He manipulates her and their is definately a disfunctional mother son relationship. She is trying to sweep it under the rug and he has convinced her that it must have been someone else. IS THEIR ANYTHING WE CAN DO? HE HAS ACCESS TO ALL HER INFORMATION, GETS INTO HER MAIL AND AS WE NOW KNOW HAS POSSESION OF HER CHECK BOOK. IT WAS THE BANK THAT NOTICED THE FORGED CHECK. ADVICE?

Poa

Do you have POA?
You can also report this to Adult Protective Services or Elder Abuse. Hope this helps. I am not an attorney so these are just some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back