Broken leg is it landlords liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crymsyn

Hello all,
I live in Oregon which is know for its rainy winters.
....First a bit of background. I rent a townhouse (one out of 8) and I am also on section 8 due to disability and I have a service dog. One of the reasons I moved into this apartment is because there is a large common area to exercise my dog, being disabled I 'run and play with him. It was mostly grass when I moved in last October. There is a huge mound running the length of the area and if you can't climb that mini mountain you have to walk around it.
.....This winter the back common area has gotten very muddy and has leaves fallen from neighboring yards that no one rakes up. I was walking in a back area I normally use for access and stopped to talking to a neighbor over the fence and when I turned to leave I slipped on a patch of wet leaves over mud and fell and broke my leg near the ankle in 3 places. The property manager is responsible for the upkeep of this area. I have asked him if they will be leveling the yard and either grassing it in or putting bark dust in there to make it safe. He told me at first the owners want to level it and make it nice. That was a year ago. All the grounds people do is mow the weeds back there in the summer, they never look at it in the winter.
.....So I notified my Property Manager I had fallen in that area and it was a muddy hazard and it needed to be cleaned up. He said the owners wanted to do that but they didn't have the money till summer. So until then I needed to be careful.
....I am thinking of suing him for personal injury about this, he knows the area is bad but its still a common area for the use of all the tenants. I asked him if he reported the accident to the insurance company and he said no you were playing with your dog and you fell its not our fault.

I was not running or playing with my dog just walking in the area.
Is he responsible for this or even half responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back