Broken lease - need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyG

My jurisdiction is: NJ

Our tenant broke her lease by moving out 1 month prior to the end of her lease, she did pay for that month. If we could find another tenant within that month we would reimburse her for those days. We cannot. All of her belongings have been gone, all her utilities have been closed and we did a final inspection. When she picked up her deposit check, I told her to let herself into the apartment, take the check and leave the keys behind. She did. I now just received a registered letter from her stating that since I had a folding table, folding chairs, ashtray, music system & CD's in the kitchen she wants her last month payment back because we were using the apartment. She also stated that she only gave us "permission" to enter the apartment to do the final walk-through & to show it to prospective tenants. I feel that since she no longer lives there, everything has been shut off and the PSE&G bill has been in my name and the apartment is not yet rented we can enter it whenever we wish to without giving her any money back. I also feel that her final payment was to finish out the balance of her lease not because she was occupying the apartment, because she was not. Who is right? Also, when is the lease actually broken - when the last of utilities was switched from her name to mine or the day of written notification that she was going to break it?

Since she gave you "permission" to show the unit to perspective tenants, you had the music system and CD's there while you waited for these potential tenants to show up to view the rental. The folding table and chairs were present so that any interested party had to place to sit to fill out your application.

Such items in the rental would not imply you were living there or using the place for anything more than to show it to potential renters.

Gail

Thank you. Do happen to know exactly when a lease is broken? She gave me notice on 8/26/08, had everything shut off on 10/17/08, final inspection was 10/17. I got her secutity deposit check on 10/27/08 she picked it up on 10/29/08 and had left keys then.

she paid through 11/09/08 which is when her lease ended but she was completly moved out on 10/17/08

Technically she did not break her lease; her lease ends 11/9/08 and she gave you adequate notice that she did not intend to renew the lease (many leases will automatically renew unless the tenant notifies the landlord otherwise). She also paid you through the end of the lease but just happened to move out earlier.

This does not, however, mean that you owe her any rent for October simply because you were showing the unit then. If she had done the exact same thing (notified you about not renewing the lease) but HADN'T physically moved out, you would, as the landlord, been perfectly within your legal rights to begin showing the apartment while she was still living there with the goal of having it rerented when her lease ended.

You also were quite generous to provide her with her security deposit so soon after the final walk through. In New Jersey a landlord has 30 days to return the security deposit after the tenant has moved out of the rental unit.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back