Broken Engagement, UK and Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkcu

Hi all,

Hope I've got this in the right section; couldn't see a better place for it but if it is in the wrong place then please accept my apologies and move it to the correct forum.

During 2006, I formed a relationship with someone in Florida through an Internet site and MSN webcam conversations. I live in the UK, thus it was a distance relationship.

Things progressed really well and in September that year I went over to visit her. It was so strong that I had purchased an engagement ring to propose to her - we had even been talking about this over the webcam.

When I asked her, she could hardly wait for me to finish the question before saying "Yes" - such was her enthusiasm.

But as soon as I got back home, she went really cold on me: no forms of communication were returned, be it text message, phone call, MSN chats, emails. I tried to ascertain whether I had done anything to upset her but she either ignored me or simply said "No".

Then about a week later, I received a bulletin on MySpace from her which would have gone to a bunch of other people as well. It was one of those "About Me" quizzes in which you answer questions about yourself and then forward it on.

She answered all the "relationship" questions in such a way as to deny that she was in a relationship.

So I emailed her about it - again, no answer.

The next thing I know, she wants no more communication from me or she will press charges against me for "stalking" and "harassment" (something I did not do and would never do).

She never returned the ring - she has been telling folk that it was me who ended the relationship therefore she has every right to retain the ring.

Since then, she has been using other people to kind of "get at" me on the forum where we first 'met' (a music discussion board - I hadn't better give a link or it'll show up in a Google search).

Do I have a claim against her on this? Is there any way to prevent her pressing a frivolous lawsuit against me? I have made no threats or anything like that at any stage, although there were one or two times on which I stated a strong opinion on the matter.

She has probably sold the ring by now - would it be possible to sue for the value of the ring rather than the ring itself? After all, once its second-hand, jewelery is only worth a fraction of what you originally paid out for it.

Thanks in advance :)

Just an article with the basics regarding your situation

FindLaw's Writ - Grossman: Who Gets The Engagement Ring When The Wedding Is Off?
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20011023.html

Don't know if you've read this or not - also, you might want to call or email the Florida state's attorney to see if there's any state law that might help you.

(What a greedy loser she must be - your better off without her...)

Hi,
This has been here for a few days now but nobody has answered :(

If nobody knows or can offer any advice, then can I please request this thread be deleted?

Thanks.

Thanks icc123 ..... my apologies here, I'm convinced that your reply wasn't there when I made my posting about there not having been any answers to this, yet my post is clearly dated a day after yours. Weird .....

I don't think I saw that article you linked me to (now going to read it), but I think I saw something similar to it some time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back