Broke a window at the gym. What are my responsibilities? I’m in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydwinder

Jurisdiction
Texas
I was throwing a medicine ball at the gym today and accidentally hit a window at a gym here in Ft. Worth TX. I am willing to pay for the repairs being as I am responsible for breaking the window. The owner said "well I will get you a quote..it's tempered glass so..." I am not looking to dodge paying for something I broke. I imagine he has some type of insurance and I will ask for an invoice once he gives me a quote. People are always trying to take money from my wallet and usually not rightfully so. So I want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of by him charging me say $5k for a small window. My real question is in a situation like this, would I be responsible for 50% of the repairs? How does this work and in Texas, how much am I obligated to pay? Thanks in advance and again, I am not looking to get out of paying for something I broke, but what is the correct way to handle this?

No. Is there some reason why you think you might be responsible for anything less than 100%?

The reasonable cost of replacing the window.

By writing a check once you receive a bill.
Thanks for the smart ass response. I think you missed the entire point of my question. I can 100% guarantee you are a loser in real life, without a doubt in the world. My question was how to avoid paying 5,000 for something that costs 500. I did not say once that I wanted to avoid responsibility. You have a lot to be proud of.

Thanks for the smart ass response. I think you missed the entire point of my question. I can 100% guarantee you are a loser in real life, without a doubt in the world. My question was how to avoid paying 5,000 for something that costs 500. I did not say once that I wanted to avoid responsibility. You have a lot to be proud of.
What a sweetie. Where are you getting this 5k figure from? Did the owner actually send you a bill for that amount? How big is the window?

I imagine he has some type of insurance

Doesn't matter. He isn't obligated to use his insurance and even if he does, the insurance company is entitled to reimbursement from you for the cost of the claim. It's called subrogation.

I will ask for an invoice once he gives me a quote. So I want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of by him charging me say $5k for a small window.

Good idea. In addition to that (I assume you still have access) I suggest you get an estimator from a window company to accompany you and give you a written assessment of the cost to replace the broken window. That way you'll have something to compare to.

My real question is in a situation like this, would I be responsible for 50% of the repairs? How does this work and in Texas,

The same way it works in every other state. You would be responsible for 100% of the repairs. That's how negligence law works.

what is the correct way to handle this?

Once you have determined the cost of replacing the window you write a check for that amount.

One thought does occur to me. If you have Homeowners or Renters Insurance, the liability coverage should pay for damage you negligently cause to someone else's property. You'll have to decide if the cost of the window is worth having that kind of claim on your insurance record.

Doesn't matter. He isn't obligated to use his insurance and even if he does, the insurance company is entitled to reimbursement from you for the cost of the claim. It's called subrogation.

Good idea. In addition to that (I assume you still have access) I suggest you get an estimator from a window company to accompany you and give you a written assessment of the cost to replace the broken window. That way you'll have something to compare to.

The same way it works in every other state. You would be responsible for 100% of the repairs. That's how negligence law works.

Once you have determined the cost of replacing the window you write a check for that amount.

One thought does occur to me. If you have Homeowners or Renters Insurance, the liability coverage should pay for damage you negligently cause to someone else's property. You'll have to decide if the cost of the window is worth having that kind of claim on your insurance record.
What negative implications would it make if I used my renter's insurance to pay for the repairs and had that on my insurance record?

What a sweetie. Where are you getting this 5k figure from? Did the owner actually send you a bill for that amount? How big is the window?
Once again, hypothetical situation that I want information on before it happens. He hasn't sent me anything, it happened today. I was just saying that I don't want to be charged more than necessary for the repairs, I'm ready to take responsibility but not cough up copious amounts of money for no good reason. But to answer your question no he did not give me a timeframe. I don't know the size of the window but it isn' very large.

You aren't obligated to pay a penny unless a judge orders you to do so. If you receive an outrageous bill you simply decline to pay and let the owner convince a judge that you should pay the excessive amount they demand.

I would seek my own estimate from a local company and promptly approach the business with an offer. Don't wait for them to tell you what they want you to pay, but instead show them that you know the cost and what you agree to pay.

You aren't obligated to pay a penny unless a judge orders you to do so. If you receive an outrageous bill you simply decline to pay and let the owner convince a judge that you should pay the excessive amount they demand.

I would seek my own estimate from a local company and promptly approach the business with an offer. Don't wait for them to tell you what they want you to pay, but instead show them that you know the cost and what you agree to pay.
Okay very good to know . I haven't recieved any kind of quote yet, but now I feel I know how to handle that type of situationif it does arise. Thanks for the advice.

My question was how to avoid paying 5,000 for something that costs 500.

No, you ignorant, ungrateful asshat, that wasn't your question. You asked three question, and none of them asked for that information. Maybe that's what you intended to ask, but it's not what you asked.

As for everything else in your post, I recommend you engage in some healthy self-copulation.

No, you ignorant, ungrateful asshat, that wasn't your question. You asked three question, and none of them asked for that information. Maybe that's what you intended to ask, but it's not what you asked.

As for everything else in your post, I recommend you engage in some healthy self-copulation.
Look stupid ass, the point of the question was not to dodge responsibility that is obvious from my question. I can't decide if you just can't read or if you have a primitive intellect likely both. 1. You're not a legal professional that much is clear now. 2. You're a weak pathetic little bitch, I don't need a picture or anything else to prove that. You feel the need to make yourself seem like a badass by trying to take my post and make it into something else. "Oh! I finally get to twist some words around so I can make someone sound dumb and maybe I can have some of that self esteem stuff that my momma's boy podcast talks about" that's how I think your mind works. You don't need to try and sound like the moral superior here because you can't read. The post is basically about how I avoid getting extorted and pay a fair price for the window. So, little bitch, go ask your mommy for her debit card so you can go get a root beer, and try saying something else besides self copulation to sound smart. "You asked three question" learn some fucking grammar You asked three questions. How's about that? Don't think for a single second that you're somebody. And yes, I would say this directly to your face. No reason for you to be in this thread.

Look stupid ass, the point of the question was not to dodge responsibility that is obvious from my question. I can't decide if you just can't read or if you have a primitive intellect likely both. 1. You're not a legal professional that much is clear now. 2. You're a weak pathetic little bitch, I don't need a picture or anything else to prove that. You feel the need to make yourself seem like a badass by trying to take my post and make it into something else. "Oh! I finally get to twist some words around so I can make someone sound dumb and maybe I can have some of that self esteem stuff that my momma's boy podcast talks about" that's how I think your mind works. You don't need to try and sound like the moral superior here because you can't read. The post is basically about how I avoid getting extorted and pay a fair price for the window. So, little bitch, go ask your mommy for her debit card so you can go get a root beer, and try saying something else besides self copulation to sound smart. "You asked three question" learn some fucking grammar You asked three questions. How's about that? Don't think for a single second that you're somebody. And yes, I would say this directly to your face. No reason for you to be in this thread.
If you are going to respond like a smart ass (even though judging by your language and grammar you sound very witless) and take the original question out of context why reply? Are you trying to pose as a legal professional? I don't think you truly are one. No one cares about your self esteem or ego.

@Psydwinder please accept my apology on his behalf. Some of the newer members here have been prone to making rude comments that are not the least bit helpful to anyone.
Better to tune out and ignore their inappropriate comments.

I trust no one will object if I close THIS thread?

Psydwinder, if you have questions that you believe have not been answered and you are willing to ask them POLITELY, feel free to open another thread. But don't think I'm unable to see who was a smart ass first in this thread. There was nothing wrong with zdoodah's initial response to you - the rest was in response to your language. I'm not excusing him but he had provocation. You did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back