Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication British tourist with 'drinking in public' ticket- paid late

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcher

Hello all

I am a British citizen who visited New York last year and stupidly did not brush up on the laws around drinking in public, and got myself a ticket for it. I managed to get a friend to pay it by cheque, but I was 4 days later than the 10 days it states the 'plead guilty by mail' must be sent by.

My question is- does my late payment mean I have committed a criminal offence? (the public drinking one is, from what I can tell, only a petty offense- but i did not pay it within the specified time)

And also- how can I find out if this counts as being arrested or having a criminal record?
I have tried calling various court houses in Brooklyn but I'm really having no luck, can anyone suggest how to find out whether I have a record in the States- as I really want to visit your beautiful country again!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

You have nothing to worry about, my friend.
Things like that happen all the time.
Even if it hadn't been paid, nothing would happen.
Cops in NYC have far too many other crimes to keep them busy.
You have no criminal record for this type of thing.
You were victimized by what we Yanks like to term, "a government revenue scam".

Thanks

Cheers, that puts my mind to rest. I am worried because I want to visit the US this summer and don't want to risk being denied entry! looks like it won't come to that though.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back