breaking the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyalex

Our landlord has broken into our apt not to long ago we had called the police on him 3 times so far. Everytime the police had done nothing. He would walk in when we where home, and didn't even bother knocking,he would just walk on in. So since the police would do nothing so we had talked to a lawyer about are problem and she had stated that we should change the lock, so we did as she had said. And to get a call from the babysitter to say that the landlord had drilled a hole into the new lock that we had bought. We had also called the cops on him for that also and still nothing was done. We also have bad conditions in our apt we have mold, bad wiring, ciling come down, installtion out of walls, water on our carpets we think that is sewer, and possible asbestos in the pipes in the baby's room, bugs. We have been trying to move but we are having a hard time and can't afford it. We have tried to go to housing but they have not called back and do credit checks, and HUD will not take any more applications until Jan 1st of 2003. We have two weeks to be out of are apt when we have no where to go and have a 5month old baby to raise. Is it against the law for the landlord to come into the apt with out our permission wether we are holding the rent or not due to lliving conditons. The police refuse to help us in any way but they are willing to help the landlord. We have also been refused to have the city inspector out because I was told that the landlord has told the police station that we where not tenants any more if that is so then why are we still in the apt. Could I be able to sue the police station for not taking care of someone breaking and entering wheather they are a landlord or not.

I live in the state of Illniois and you would like to take my case I hope we could work out a payment plan, and if you would like to e-mail me about my problem my e-mail is bbyalex@hotmail.com

Did the landlord claim to have justification for the entry? If you called the police, then you should make sure to file a police report. You can withhold rent should the landlord breach the terms of the lease but if you play that game you must be very, very careful. It doesn't mean you can withhold the whole rent. You can charge the landlord for the lock as well as other expenses you may incur.

Why do you have to move? I'm wondering if I don't have the whole story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back