Breaking commercial lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

q1w2e3r4

I have been leasing a small commercial space for 7 years. I originally signed a 5year then a 1yr and last year, a 3year lease. The reason for the varied time frames is that I have been under the impression that the landlord(s) would be selling me the property in the "near future". Some time after relocating my business to this location I learned that the building manager was NOT under land contract with the actual owner as was indicated in the lease. We also had quite a few problems with the building manager over the years misunderstandings that My wife and I were pretty clear as to what was acyually said. It wasn't long before we began communicating as much as we could with the building manager in writing. My office is a professional health care office and we have been subjected to the building manager running a wood shop running in the basement for a period of 6 months, we complained but no change. We have had and are still having extensive noise from the other tenants as well as littering. We have complained but afterthe building manager repeatedly leasing to problem tenants we have pretty much quit. The last straw was a waste water leak that was dripping into our office coming from the bathroom up stairs beginning last June. They caulked it good what ever it was , but there was still a large hole in the ceiling and nice brown streaks running down the wall. The BM (Building manager) said he'd fix the hole as soon as he was sure the leak was fixed. By December it was leaking again even worse. I notified them in Feb that if they didn't fix the problem I would be forced to withold the lease monies. That prompted me to receive a verbal harrangue from the BM. At that point I decided to leave. My wife and children are VERY uncomfortable when this man is around and I feel that he is unstable.

So the question is am I in the right to leave this location even though I have two years left on the lease, and even though he has finally fixed the leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back