Branded Title

B

Bob Luz

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I purchased a Ford Fusion (2013) in Jan of 2014. When I went to purchase new car (not original dealer) I was told the Title had been "branded". Lemon Law and Manufacturer BuyBack. The value of my trade in has been reduced by at least 50%. The car was originally purchased and Title Branded in Connecticut. The Massachusetts dealer I purchased from, had purchased car at auction. They provided me a clear Massachusetts Title.
My Question: Is the dealer legally obligated to notify me that original Title was "branded" (Lemon Law) and this would greatly reduce my trade in value. Also, some dealers will not take in trade a auto with "branded title". I can not sell privately (retail) because Carfax shows "Branded Title Lemon Law".

My Question: Is the dealer legally obligated to notify me that original Title was "branded" (Lemon Law) and this would greatly reduce my trade in value.

I suggest you start by discussing your options with the seller.

It has been almost three years, so the SOL might interfere with a remedy.

Nevertheless, keep searching until you know for sure.

That will probably not end well for you.

This state agency says the "salvage aka branded" title must be disclosed.
I didn't find statutory cites, so I suggest you contact MA RMV for further guidance.
PolicyBrowser

So, you might then wish to consult your state AG for help:
The Consumer Protection Division

Read this:
Can a Dealership Sell You a Car Without Informing You That it Has a Branded Title

It's odd that the dealership was able to give you a clean title then it later "became branded."
You need to find out when where and how it "became branded." You may be able to request a history of transactions from the DMV.

Back