Bought a Lexus LX 470 but it started falling apart right away after 35 min of driving and 24 hrs

J

Jo smo

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Hello I'm looking for some legal advice. I bought a used Lexus LX470, which is mostly identical to the Toyota Land Cruiser so most usually runs great and forever. It was shipped out from prestigious auto gallery in Kentucky from some very uneducated new to the business car salesmen for a great price of $12100. With relatively low miles for Toyota/ Lexus. I was nervous having never seen the SUV so I asked them to give me a video test drive and attest to the vehicle being in excellent condition and they said I would love the vehicle and be very happy. They said speakers were great. Also promised To their knowledge nothing was wrong with the vehicle or broken. I even asked specific questions, like had the timing belt been changed did your mechanic look at it. What shape was it in. Had it been maintained well? All which he replied in positive ways misleading me. He even said that he would guarantee that I could get a warranty after I got it if needed. They were supposed to ship to me in Aspen, co. But changed location at last minute to Denver, Colorado . So I scrambled to get to denver to grab vehicle. Not knowing exactly when I'd get vehicle I had to stay over there sat night and then again sun. When I received the vehicle on sun afternoon the antenna was broken and was left to scratch the paint on the hood. $100 to fix antenna not including paint. The rear subwoofer was blown so badly that you couldn't listen to the stereo at all $1,100 due to complications with the Lexus stereo and wiring then the finally trying to drive home from denver the vehicle handled dangerously in 4 hi wheel drive with unstable steering throwing us all over the road scaring my 12 year old twin boys. We tried take it out of 4 wheel on the fly but it wouldn't release. We realized it was locked into what seamed like 4 wheel drive (hi position) so we pulled over to try realeasing the 4 wheel botton and it wouldn't budge. Finally got it to realease in reverse after 15 min of messing with it. Absolutely not normal for this vehicle. Keep in mind we only had 35 min of driving time total in this vehicle. Then it turns out there was a burning smell coming from the under chaise. So we had to leave it in denver as the other repairs had already cost me a fair amount. And we couldn't miss more school or work. I got it towed to a mechanic where he checked the entire vehicle over and it will be a total of $1,109 because he found that the vehicle was locked into 4 low and took him 2 hours to get it out costing me $200. He found while under the hood The timing belt had never been changed because they put a sticker on there if they do it and the serpentine belt had cracks in, it was probably the burning smell I smelt when 4 wheel drive was locked up. And water pump also needed changed. which cost $1,109. All these things were necessary to fix in order to not cease the engine with the timing belt or be to stranded soon or for vehicle to run properly. The mechanic also found out that I will soon need a power steering case and system equaling $1000 because it has a leak in it. So the results are My kids missed school. I missed work on Monday. We Still need to drive my older land cruiser back to denver again that I was trying to sell to pay off the credit card that I used To put the remaining $4,000 purchase of this vehicle on. Resulting in not being able to sell my older land cruiser right away because we need it get to denver to pick up vehicle once again and make sure vehicle is reliable. This has resulted in Using my entire savings. Now I have to go back to denver again so 2 trips totaling $500. I feel they should have checked over their vehicle closer and realeased the knowledge these issues to me or had their mechanic fix them to sell a more reliable vehicle that they could stand behind. That's part of the benifit of paying dealer prices over buying from an independent individual. I tried to work out a deal for reimbursement for all of this totaling $3,800 or Bargin a fair point or come to a 1/2 way point. This is been resulting in nasty and unprofessional arguing, mean screaming and yelling in my ear. Which I know I have very limited time for as I'm also a single mother working and trying to deal with several mechanics and towing ect. So I have decided to put in a dispute on my credit card sale to them with Wells Fargo through visa for $4,000 of the $12,100 I paid them. The other $8,100 was in cash. My guess is I'll win. Wells Fargo thinks so. But what then ? Can they sue or send me to collections? They wanted to come up with a number that's more fair for them which I was actually going to do. But they are so mean and unreasonable and angry that I feel that it's better to let Wells Fargo be my advocate and have them deal with them directly. Besides who has time for their phone tag games and postponements. I'll give Wells Fargo the high side and low side of what I expect from this auto dealer to stand behind the SUV they sold me that seams to be very poorly maintained and falling apart with several problems right off the bat. I need to weigh this out before This gets too far down the road to go backwards. What is their recourse If I win? If I loose they keep money and I'm out. It seams like it's best to let Wells Fargo be the mediator here. Although I wish they were easier to bargin with. What is the lemon law in Kentucky and Colorado ? since I bought in Kentucky but received in Colorado. What are my rights as a buyer? If I could get them on a rational moment what should I expect with in the law to ask for. Or I could ask them in an email if you think That would be ok. I'm thinking although the total repairs are $3800. I would take $2000. Is that reasonable. Or do I stay firm? I really have no money and repairs have been preformed already. So I would be stretching out payments on credit cards. They did threaten to come get the car but I hold the title. Although it isn't registered in my name yet. Because I have temp tags and again Financially needed to wait til June. I don't want to give car back. Would it be best to register right away in my dads name to avoid them taking the car? I don't think they can do that. Especially after I have put so Much Finacial upgrades into the car also before I knew it was a lemon. Like it's in line to have a suspension lift for $3000 and I had $300 tint put on already. So a lot of $ into the vehicle on my own. Please help. Thank you.

Buying a used car is always a crap shoot.
Buying a used car out of state, trusting the representations of the seller is insane.
You can ask anyone a question.
I doubt the seller will answer the question to your satisfaction especially with this seller being half a continent away.

Sorry, you're stuck with the broken down bucket of used bolts you bought.

However, if you owe the seller (or a lender) money, why wouldn't either have a right to REPO the car?

ANSWER: If the seller (or lender) isn't STUPID, too, they maintain a right to REPO the car.

Practically, if the seller was able to scam someone sufficient to make bookoo money, they might forget REPOing the car.

The scammer already made EIGHT GRAND off of you for a car worth less than FOUR GRAND, I'm guessing.

They might let it go.

If that happens, titling the car might be difficult.

If a legal remedy exists, it's in KY, not CO.

That's why what you did was just plain dumb.

Now you're stuck with the remnants of doing something stupid.

I can't imagine the credit card dispute will be successful.
The auto dealer is not responsible for any of the additional costs you want to recover.

I didn't even have to read that insanely unreadable block of text. The thread title was predictive.

I agree with the other responses.

OP is sunk.

...I had $300 tint put on already.

I guess this shows your mindset. With all the issues you've had and money you threw into this vehicle (with more to come) you felt it was necessary to tint the windows for $300. Unreal.

I don't like name-calling but lady, you are far from the smartest person on the planet.

Hello I'm looking for some legal advice. I bought a used Lexus LX470, which is mostly identical to the Toyota Land Cruiser so most usually runs great and forever. It was shipped out from prestigious auto gallery in Kentucky from some very uneducated new to the business car salesmen for a great price of $12100. With relatively low miles for Toyota/ Lexus. I was nervous having never seen the SUV so I asked them to give me a video test drive and attest to the vehicle being in excellent condition and they said I would love the vehicle and be very happy. They said speakers were great. Also promised To their knowledge nothing was wrong with the vehicle or broken. I even asked specific questions, like had the timing belt been changed did your mechanic look at it. What shape was it in. Had it been maintained well? All which he replied in positive ways misleading me. He even said that he would guarantee that I could get a warranty after I got it if needed. They were supposed to ship to me in Aspen, co. But changed location at last minute to Denver, Colorado . So I scrambled to get to denver to grab vehicle. Not knowing exactly when I'd get vehicle I had to stay over there sat night and then again sun. When I received the vehicle on sun afternoon the antenna was broken and was left to scratch the paint on the hood. $100 to fix antenna not including paint. The rear subwoofer was blown so badly that you couldn't listen to the stereo at all $1,100 due to complications with the Lexus stereo and wiring then the finally trying to drive home from denver the vehicle handled dangerously in 4 hi wheel drive with unstable steering throwing us all over the road scaring my 12 year old twin boys. We tried take it out of 4 wheel on the fly but it wouldn't release. We realized it was locked into what seamed like 4 wheel drive (hi position) so we pulled over to try realeasing the 4 wheel botton and it wouldn't budge. Finally got it to realease in reverse after 15 min of messing with it. Absolutely not normal for this vehicle. Keep in mind we only had 35 min of driving time total in this vehicle. Then it turns out there was a burning smell coming from the under chaise. So we had to leave it in denver as the other repairs had already cost me a fair amount. And we couldn't miss more school or work. I got it towed to a mechanic where he checked the entire vehicle over and it will be a total of $1,109 because he found that the vehicle was locked into 4 low and took him 2 hours to get it out costing me $200. He found while under the hood The timing belt had never been changed because they put a sticker on there if they do it and the serpentine belt had cracks in, it was probably the burning smell I smelt when 4 wheel drive was locked up. And water pump also needed changed. which cost $1,109. All these things were necessary to fix in order to not cease the engine with the timing belt or be to stranded soon or for vehicle to run properly. The mechanic also found out that I will soon need a power steering case and system equaling $1000 because it has a leak in it. So the results are My kids missed school. I missed work on Monday. We Still need to drive my older land cruiser back to denver again that I was trying to sell to pay off the credit card that I used To put the remaining $4,000 purchase of this vehicle on. Resulting in not being able to sell my older land cruiser right away because we need it get to denver to pick up vehicle once again and make sure vehicle is reliable. This has resulted in Using my entire savings. Now I have to go back to denver again so 2 trips totaling $500. I feel they should have checked over their vehicle closer and realeased the knowledge these issues to me or had their mechanic fix them to sell a more reliable vehicle that they could stand behind. That's part of the benifit of paying dealer prices over buying from an independent individual. I tried to work out a deal for reimbursement for all of this totaling $3,800 or Bargin a fair point or come to a 1/2 way point. This is been resulting in nasty and unprofessional arguing, mean screaming and yelling in my ear. Which I know I have very limited time for as I'm also a single mother working and trying to deal with several mechanics and towing ect. So I have decided to put in a dispute on my credit card sale to them with Wells Fargo through visa for $4,000 of the $12,100 I paid them. The other $8,100 was in cash. My guess is I'll win. Wells Fargo thinks so. But what then ? Can they sue or send me to collections? They wanted to come up with a number that's more fair for them which I was actually going to do. But they are so mean and unreasonable and angry that I feel that it's better to let Wells Fargo be my advocate and have them deal with them directly. Besides who has time for their phone tag games and postponements. I'll give Wells Fargo the high side and low side of what I expect from this auto dealer to stand behind the SUV they sold me that seams to be very poorly maintained and falling apart with several problems right off the bat. I need to weigh this out before This gets too far down the road to go backwards. What is their recourse If I win? If I loose they keep money and I'm out. It seams like it's best to let Wells Fargo be the mediator here. Although I wish they were easier to bargin with. What is the lemon law in Kentucky and Colorado ? since I bought in Kentucky but received in Colorado. What are my rights as a buyer? If I could get them on a rational moment what should I expect with in the law to ask for. Or I could ask them in an email if you think That would be ok. I'm thinking although the total repairs are $3800. I would take $2000. Is that reasonable. Or do I stay firm? I really have no money and repairs have been preformed already. So I would be stretching out payments on credit cards. They did threaten to come get the car but I hold the title. Although it isn't registered in my name yet. Because I have temp tags and again Financially needed to wait til June. I don't want to give car back. Would it be best to register right away in my dads name to avoid them taking the car? I don't think they can do that. Especially after I have put so Much Finacial upgrades into the car also before I knew it was a lemon. Like it's in line to have a suspension lift for $3000 and I had $300 tint put on already. So a lot of $ into the vehicle on my own. Please help. Thank you.
Video test drive? Really?

Back