Bought a car with other person's name on title.

FallenDown101

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
I don't know what to do. I bought a car from a girl for $1,360. Have the title and everything. But here's the problem. The title isn't in her name. Didn't find that out until I was trying to tag it. She said she would have the person who's name is on the title meet me today. But they never showed. I texted, called, and facebook messaged them. And still nothing. I finally sent them a message saying that we were doing waiting and just wanted our money back and they could have the car back. And still nothing back from them. My husband has even tried go get a hold of them. But they are not seeming like they want to get back a hold of us. I don't know what to do at all. Any help would be awesome.

The title isn't in her name. Didn't find that out until I was trying to tag it.

How'd you manage that? Didn't you look at the title before you paid her? Didn't you question her identity? Didn't you take even the slightest of reasonable precautions in buying the car? I guess no to all those questions.

they are not seeming like they want to get back a hold of us.

Of course not. They are scammers who got your money and left you with a potential title issue. You can forget getting your money back.

I don't know what to do at all.

Here's what you do. You and your husband fill in the buyers' section with your information, go to the DMV, hand it to the clerk and say "Title transfer please" and keep your mouths shut about everything else.

If a problem comes up when they run the title history, you may be able to get title by posting a bond:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/policyAndLegal/Documents/mv1993_3.pdf

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Documents/IssanceOfBondedTitle.pdf

The car might be stolen.
You might start by calling the police and asking if the car is stolen.
As far as the money you paid to the woman, you were probably SCAMMED.

Unless the police find her, or you run into her at a Walmart, you'll never see a dollar of your money. She's probably loaded up on meth or crack, the SCAMMER'S drugs of choice.

You never buy a car until you've verified the title.
She wouldn't let you keep the car, until she had SCAMMED $1,500 from your hands.

Good luck.

I have never bought a car before so I didn't know anything about that. And she said the title was all good. She has been working with me to get the other person until recently. It's when I asked for the money back and everything she stopped responding. So I just didn't know what to do.

My guess is that she bought the car from the other person and she never paid the taxes and fees to have it put in her name. You really should not have to contact this other person and they have no obligation whatsoever to you. Your purchase was from her and she has the obligation to provide you with clear title transfer. If she won't cooperate I'm no sure what your remedy would be other than perhaps trying small claims court, or you can try the route of bonded title which does carry some additional expense.

Back