Bought a car with expired registration - Registration and title issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shiren79

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a vehicle with engine trouble. To be more specific, I bought it on April 23rd, 2014. Seller kept the car in his garage for many months due to the drivability issue, and finally decided to sell it. Since I have an advanced knowledge on this particular model, I was able to fix the engine problem. She's ready to get some fresh breeze!

But the problem is, registration on this vehicle has been expired quite long ago; April 2013. Seller promised me that he would hand over the title once he finds it, but I cannot contact him for months. I asked around and a friend of mine happened to know him, he said that seller went back to his home country three months ago.

An acquaintance of mine had a similar experience and gave me an advice that I can apply for bonded title. This looked promising so I went ahead and start searching for information. I came across on a certain post on some forum that says bonded title cannot be applied if vehicle has an expired state inspection. Yes, this is another problem. State inspection tag was expired two months ago, I tried to renew it as soon as I fixed the engine issue, it won't pass the emission test for some reason. Vehicle does not have active DTC(diagnostic trouble code), repair shop technician said it may be the car's software issue.

So, here lies the questions.
1) Is it true that I cannot apply for bonded title if vehicle has expired state inspection tag?
2) If the expired state inspection does not matter, would I be paying fine for expired registration? I've heard that penalty fee of $25 adds up every month for late registration. Would I be responsible for late registration?

These are two main concerns that I have at this moment. I will post a reply if I have further concerns.

Thank you for your time, and I'll look forward to hear from you.
Matthew.

I suggest you visit the office in your county that issues license plates.
It might be best to arrange an appointment and discuss the matter with a supervisor.

Another option would be to visit the drivers license agency and speak with one of the troopers. Those people are very informed about motor vehicle law.

Don't forget your county sheriff, either. Most Texas sheriffs are as savvy about motor vehicle laws as the DPS. They all are willing to help, if approached properly.

The price is right for Thor advice, FREE. Well, FREE at the time of discussion, because taxes do pay for their presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back