Both Parent's Passed Away One A Few Weeks After The First

Miloit

Jurisdiction
New York
My mother passed away and then a few weeks later my father passed away. There was no will for either. What happens to my mother's estate if any? Does a portion of my mother's estate go into my father's estate?

If I file for letters of administration for my mother's estate do I list my father as a surviving spouse?

I would like to avoid an attorney if possible. There is little to no assets but I am planning on filing a wrongful death claim and would need letters of administration for this.

I would like to avoid an attorney if possible. There is little to no assets but I am planning on filing a wrongful death claim and would need letters of administration for this.
My condolences on the passing of your parents.

If you're planning on filing such a suit, then you definitely need an attorney. That is NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Why?

I'm not being facetious. It's an important question.

This is for a 9/11 VCF wrongful death claim.

Prior to my mother's passing we filed a 9/11 VCF claim without an attorney which was approved and awarded. Since her passing I was made aware that she may qualify for a 9/11 wrongful death claim because her passing was due to a 9/11 related illness. I am hoping to file this one on my own as well.

Under New York law, when a person dies without a will and is survived by a spouse and descendants, the surviving spouse receives the first $50k and half of everything else, while the descendants divide the other half. When there are children but no surviving spouse, everything goes to the children.

I STRONGLY urge you to retain the services of a local probate attorney. Handling one estate is not a great DIY project. Handling two related estates is absolutely not something you want to try handling on your own.

All the more reason not to do this yourself (and there is NO WAY you'll be able to handle a WD lawsuit on your own).

Back