Bonding Out

Some context would be helpful but my guess is that you are putting up money for the full amount of the bail.

If that is the case, "hilsincolorado", the person you're thinking about bonding out has done some VERY naughty things, is a flight risk, or has a lengthy criminal history of serious crimes, usually ALL of the aforementioned.

Be very careful, if you put up $50,000, you might never see a dollar of it returned.

Also, in some states (I don't know about CO, but you need to know), when the case is over the court releases the cash to the offender.

When that happens, the poor stiff who put up the cash never gets a dollar back.

You might wish to stay out of this, unless you've got lots of cash and don't care if you ever get it back.

Colorado's New Bail Bond Law Means More Fairness In Setting Bail Bonds and Bail Bond Conditions

Bail Bonds in Colorado

Colorado you can use a bail bond agent. Or you can put up the cash. It's usually 10%.

IF you are thinking about bailing someone out let me give you some advice: Don't. I bailed out my ex husband and I got screwed out of the money because the county he was in puts the bail in the defendant's name no matter who pays it. I got screwed out of a good chunk of change. That was in Nebraska but still...don't do it. It's not worth it. If they miss court, you lose that money and if their case takes a while you can't get that money until it's done. That could be up to a year.

I knew it was stupid to bail him out but I did it - and if I could go back I wouldn't. Especially knowing that he used our daughter's medical condition to get some of the money back and they use some of it to pay court fees, restitution and money stolen after he took a plea deal. It's not worth it. Ever. Just walk away from that person.

Back