Bond set higher than Code rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinker23

I was arrested on a "stalking" charge warrant for making unwanted phone calls, and my bond was $1200, which my boyfriend posted in cash in full. But the Georgia legal code regarding this charge says the bond shall be no more than $1000. Does this affect my case and whether it could be dismissed? Thank you.

(b) Nothing in this Code section shall prohibit the sheriff from releasing the person at any time prior to the hearing after posting bond. The amount of the bond shall be set by the sheriff but in no event shall the amount set by the sheriff exceed $1,000.00. Such bond shall contain the same conditions as a bond required after a hearing by the court of inquiry, except that, in counties in which a state court is established, all bonds posted under this Code section shall be returnable in the state court rather than in the superior court. Within five days after being released on bond by the sheriff, the person shall be entitled to a hearing before the court of inquiry.

You need to file a motion to reduce your bail.

could this affect my case?

In what way?

I can't see where this would either help or hurt you; it's a non-issue.

But, as I said earlier, you need to make a motion to reduce your bail. You may get some money back...you just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back