Boat Blown Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldjumper

Live in Florida. Bought 2005 boat (36k) with inboard diesel engine 130 hours from private owner. Owner told me boat was in great condition and no issues. Within the next 30 days I took the boat out twice. Second trip the motor quits, I get towed in and take it to the Mercruiser authorized dealer.
They say bad turbo and need $4300 for replacement. Tell me that previous owner had boat in for the same issue 12 months earlier and refused to have it repaired.
The previous owner posted on a diesel engine website that the motor was bad (pistons coming apart)and he had to replace the turbo 3 times. He knew that the motor was bad and stated in his posts that he would need to rebuild or sell.

He sold and I bought. Do I have a leg to stand on based on previous mechanics info and the previous owners online statements? The motor is very expensive to replace or rebuild.

Thanks!

You do have a leg to stand on but it's a weak one, IMHO. You claim he deliberately misrepresented the condition of the boat and told a whopper about its operating history. Most important - do you have a contract of sale? The words in it will likely govern and feel free to add more here if you'd like. Good luck in the meanwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back