Blank spaces in lease still valid?

sh0x

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hi,

This is my lease: http://www.cbwilliamsburg.com/members/pdf/VAR-Rental-Lease.pdf

Section 1.j has the following:

Cancellation and Renewal of Lease: Either party may terminate this Lease effective as of the end of the then-existing Term by giving the other party written notice at least ________________ (______) days before the end of the then-existing Term. If no such notice of termination is given, the Term of this Lease shall be extended for self-renewing terms of ______________________. If Landlord intends to change the terms or conditions of this Lease, including increasing the Rent, for any renewal term thereafter, Landlord will give Tenant written notice at least __________ days prior to the end of the then applicable term.

My landlord printed the lease, and we both signed it. But the blank spaces in the section 1.j are unfilled. Therefore, is that clause still valid? Do I still need to give my landlord advance notice of canceling the lease, even though it never specifies how many days in advance?

My landlord said according to the contract, I need to give her notice a month in advance. But that section is left blank, so how can that be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Never sign anything if you don't understand what you're being asked to sign.

Never sign anything that isn't completed, as in no blank spaces or gaps.

The lease is likely invalid, however, that won't be determined until one of the parties challenges it in court.

There is no magic incantation one can utter to proclaim a lease's invalidity.

The legality of such a document will only be known after one of you takes the matter before a judge.

As to the landlord's proclamation, another reason to have walked away.

My landlord said according to the contract, I need to give her notice a month in advance. But that section is left blank, so how can that be?

It can't.

That provision is not enforceable.

However, how about using a little common sense and give at least a month's written notice if you don't want to renew?

By the way, one unenforceable provision of a contract doesn't necessarily invalidate the rest of the contract. So make sure you understand and comply with the rest of the terms of the contract.

Back