birth control debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyoung

I received an IUD from my doctor. Prior to making the appt, the business office verified my insurance and informed me that I would be responsible for paying over $500 for the procedure. I declined and cancelled the appt. The same lady called me back a few minutes later and told me that they wanted to take care of the cost of the device and procedure for me as a courtesy to me. I would be responsible for paying nothing. I obliged and had the procedure done. I have since then received numerous calls from the doctor's office claiming that my insurance co. denied the claim and that the doctor's office didn't realize how much money they would have to pay. They then came back to me and said that since the device had been working so well for me, that I owed them the money applicable toward my deductible. I don't think I should have to pay, but need legal advice before I tell them I will not pay for sure. Can anyone help?

Send them a letter, certified return receipt, stating that the procedure was free and agreed upon and provide the details. You should also mention the follow up calls and that they shoudl not harrass you any further for "morality" reasons. You may want to consider it but I don't blame you if you did the procedure depending upon the fact it was at no cost. This should help you in the event that the office foolishly decides to go to court, upon which you can make claims of a frivolous lawsuit. Best of luck and glad to hear everything is working well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back