Beware Skype's Online Payment System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to purchase Skype credits and discovered some tactics that I feel are "sneaky" and consumers need to be aware of before deciding to use this service.

1. They have "opt in" payment renewals. You may not have noticed this and I find it rather disgraceful and extremely easy to overlook, especially if you're going through the payment process quickly. By default, they check a box where you give them the right to charge your credit card for an amount of credit if your balance goes down to $2.00 or less. It's bad enough that some companies have opt-in for email address collection... doing this for charging your credit card? Outrageous.

Three times I've had to quit the transaction because I realized I clicked the "next" box too quickly prior to unchecking the recharge credit card option.

Recharge my account automatically when my balance falls below $2.00. If you do not want to enable Auto-recharge please untick the box.

2. There is absolutely no reason on earth why I should lose my "prepaid money" to use Skype or any other service if I don't use it within 180 days - at least that is what I understand. Why is this the case? It's not enough that they can use the unearned amount in my account and collect interest?

These are my warnings for those of you using Skype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back