Best way to pay 6K of someone elses lien? Lien on Car I'm buying. Want to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Hi, I'm about to buy a used car with a lien on it and I was wondering what the best way to go about it is. The seller is out of state: Oklahoma.

It seems really complicated, so I'll try to word it as best as I can.

Car Buying Price: 23K (It's a 34K car, good price!!)
Amount left to pay on car: 16K
Amount of loans I am getting: 10K:
Amount of cash I have on hand: 13K

My bank says they wont give me my 10K loan check unless they have confirmation that the amount to pay on the car is 10K or less. So I need to find a way to pay 6K to get the loan amount to 10K.

I think what I have to do is pay 6K to the bank that has their loan and get it down to 10K. Once I get it down to 10K, the bank will give me my check and the car exchange can go on as planned.

I'm just worried about paying 6K, and then the buyer not going through with it or me thinking I'm paying 6K to the bank when its really someone else. 6K is a lot of money to just toss around.

What would the legally best and 'quickest' way I can go about this? I'm out of a car (my last car got totaled, thats why I have so much cash on hand), and I need a new car quick. I just want to make sure I have all bases covered. Is there something I can have them sign guaranteeing everything will work out? Or some way I can make sure the bank/person Im paying is actually who I want it to go to? I have all text messages, emails, and voicemails saved from the buyer.

Thanks!

State: Texas

Don't go through with this deal.
You'll regret it.
Something will go wrong.
You have no way to protect yourself, even if you loaned the guy $6k to pay off the loan and he gave you an IOU.

Stop.
This could go horribly wrong for you.
He'll have a clear title and you'll be stuck with a piece of paper.

Thanks army judge! The only thing is, :/ I'm really attached to the car now. And for the price they gave it to me for, it's a hard deal to pass. It's about a thousand dollars cheaper than other places sell it for.

I know its advised against, but I want to for sure go through with this. I just wanted to know if there was a way to protect myself instead of just putting my trust in them. Aka: Have her sign something saying that the money would go toward the lien to buy it and would refund me if I decided not to go through with it etc. I've talked to them on the phone and am friends with them on facebook now. It's a family and they seem like a really nice couple.

I mean I have all my emails and voicemails from them talking about me buying the car etc.

Dude, don't do it.
It is a scam.
Buy a car in Texas.
If you do it, you'll be back on here asking how to get your money back!

lol i feel really bad now about posting here. I'm considering doing the advised against XD

But Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the car for me. I've seen videos and photos of it, and I've really taking a liking to the car. It's a car I'll keep for a long time.

I know its HIGHLY advised against, but if I decide to go through with it, there's nothing I can do to ensure a 'safer' transaction? Aka: Make them sign something and have it notarized, etc. I mean I already have voicemails saying they will refund me if something goes wrong etc.

lol i feel really bad now about posting here. I'm considering doing the advised against XD

But Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the car for me. I've seen videos and photos of it, and I've really taking a liking to the car. It's a car I'll keep for a long time.

I know its HIGHLY advised against, but if I decide to go through with it, there's nothing I can do to ensure a 'safer' transaction? Aka: Make them sign something and have it notarized, etc. I mean I already have voicemails saying they will refund me if something goes wrong etc.

You don't get it.
You are free to do whatever you want.
But, here's the problem, my friend.
Let's say you get them to sign a promissory note, okay?
The "scammer" (you call him the "seller") signs the note.
Heck, the "scammer" even gets the note notarized.
The "scammer" returns the signed/notarized note to you.
You send the "scammer" the $6,000.
The "scammer" is supposed to pay off the note.
But, the "scammer" has your check.
You're smart and made the check out to the bank that hold sthe note.
Now, even if the "scammer" wanted to keep the check, its useless.
He has to take it to the bank.

Or, you were even smarter.
You got the note, signed, sealed, and delivered.
You send the check to the bank to pay off th enote.

The bank gets the check, and clears the title.
However, the title isn't yours, yet.
What is the "scammer" just decided the car for $30,000 cash, or even $25,000 cash to someone else?

Sure, he owes you $6,000, but how do you collect?

Many, many, many things can go wrong.

Don't you see the risks?

What if there is no car, just a video of a car the "scammer" doesn't own, or used to own?

Are you starting to see the risks?

Yes, you could always sue him for the $6,000.

But, not in Texas.
You'd have to go to Oklahoma to sue him.
And, even if you win, you don't get your money.
You get another pretty piece of paper saying the "scammer" owes you $6,000.
But, you then have to try and collect the $6,000.
Which is no longer worth $6,000.
Why?
You've probably spent $1,000 to get the pretty piece of paper saying the "scammer" owes you!

Isn't this risky?

But, do whatever you want to do.

It is, after all, the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back