Best Choice for High Storage Charge Dilemma

Max1

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Unwisely I loaned out one of my Vehicles (2002 minivan- previous value ~ $1500 [no liens]) that ended up getting towed and stored for two months without my knowledge. I received a certified letter from the towing company and the state DMV notifying me. I contacted the towing company and they want $2,800 in total fees and charges to release the vehicle. The only option they offered me was paying half of the $2,800 and surrendering the signed title to them. They have requested a lien from the DMV and have scheduled the vehicle to be sold at Auction. Assuming that the car would sell for less than half the $2800 (vehicle now has dead battery, flat tires, etc.) at auction, I am concerned about the value differential. I definitely do not want to deal with suits or residual legal maters asking for any differential, or risk any liens or credit damage for any differential amount.
I realize this is my situation is my responsibility and from my readings it appears that the towing company is within their rights and that I do not have much negotiating room. However, any advice would be appreciated including any specific points I might employ to simply negotiate down the total financial impact.

Back