1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Best Choice for High Storage Charge Dilemma

Discussion in 'Parking Tickets, Towing, Impound' started by Max1, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Max1

Max1 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Virginia
    Unwisely I loaned out one of my Vehicles (2002 minivan- previous value ~ $1500 [no liens]) that ended up getting towed and stored for two months without my knowledge. I received a certified letter from the towing company and the state DMV notifying me. I contacted the towing company and they want $2,800 in total fees and charges to release the vehicle. The only option they offered me was paying half of the $2,800 and surrendering the signed title to them. They have requested a lien from the DMV and have scheduled the vehicle to be sold at Auction. Assuming that the car would sell for less than half the $2800 (vehicle now has dead battery, flat tires, etc.) at auction, I am concerned about the value differential. I definitely do not want to deal with suits or residual legal maters asking for any differential, or risk any liens or credit damage for any differential amount.
    I realize this is my situation is my responsibility and from my readings it appears that the towing company is within their rights and that I do not have much negotiating room. However, any advice would be appreciated including any specific points I might employ to simply negotiate down the total financial impact.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

You can find my response on the other site where you posted the same question.

3. Max1

4. Max1

Thank you for your response, adjuster Jack, I appreciate your time.