Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Bench warrant for misdemeanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwynn46

My 19 yr. old son got picked up for shoplifting some CD's from a Target store in MN. He did not follow through on the court appearance, and has a bench warrant out for his arrest for failure to show up. He since moved to OR to live with me, and now we are wondering just how damaging this warrant will be. He did not share enough information with me about this, and he is hoping something can be done. Is there most likely a record of this that would be in a national database, so that he would be denied the ability to apply for student loans for school? I would like to have the jurisdiction transferred to OR so he wouldn't have to go back to MN and turn himself in. I am so angry with him for not resolving this before he moved out here to live with me. What can I do?

heya cwynn

Having an outstaning warrant against your son is a serious matter, it won't ever fo away unless it is dealt with. My advice, hire an atty; him skipping town and not appearing is actually a much more serious crime than the shoplifting charge. Please let me know how this turns out.

cwynn46 said:
My 19 yr. old son got picked up for shoplifting some CD's from a Target store in MN. He did not follow through on the court appearance, and has a bench warrant out for his arrest for failure to show up. He since moved to OR to live with me, and now we are wondering just how damaging this warrant will be. He did not share enough information with me about this, and he is hoping something can be done. Is there most likely a record of this that would be in a national database, so that he would be denied the ability to apply for student loans for school? I would like to have the jurisdiction transferred to OR so he wouldn't have to go back to MN and turn himself in. I am so angry with him for not resolving this before he moved out here to live with me. What can I do?
I'm sorry to hear about what happened. Your best bet would be to resolve this issue immediately. The issue would not be resolvable in OR since the state has different laws and no jurisdiction over the matter. His issue is in the state of MN. You may want to speak to an attorney to handle this matter since having a warrant out for arrest is serious. My understanding is that warrants for arrest are not kept within the state and he could be held in jail as a fugitive from justice in another state, e.g. he gets stopped for a traffic violation and his record comes up as having outstanding warrants. The term "extradition" means "the legal surrender of a fugitive from justice to the jurisdiction of another state, country, or government for trial."

Good luck to you and your son. I hope things turn out reasonably well. He needs to learn that you can't run away from these problems and they must be dealt with and not ignored. Hopefully you two can move on relatively unscathed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back