Cleaning, Repairs Believe I am being over charged

mvarian02

Jurisdiction
Washington
I moved out of a 1380 sq/ft 3 bed/2 bath house on May 30th. I lived there 4 and a half years. I got my invoice today June 14th.

I paid a $1000 security deposit, I hadn't expected to get it all back just for the fact my husband and I had been there awhile and I knew they would use some for professional cleaners and carpet cleaning which they state in the original lease.

A little acknowledgment and background on our rental, our microwave broke towards the end of us living there, so we figured they would fix it when we moved out, or normally we would have called and asked for the repair if we had been staying (which they would of done to no charge to us)

However the amount charged after doing some considerable research, is absurd for the house cleaning/carpets (we do own dogs so i understand its necessity) but for THAT price?!

Master bedroom door had a minor crack (not a hole, nothing you can see through) and the bathroom knob in 2nd bathroom had broken clean down the middle when we went to use it. Now the house was very basic, no upgrades, I even looked up the exact pricing of what we had and to replace was about $300 less than what they had quoted.

As for yard, we had a very small front/back yard which we regularly mowed/had weeded right before move out might i add, HOW is it $549. that makes no sense even on a huge yard?!

Utilities I have retrieved all my last ones for month at my new address and have paid. So i am unsure of this charge.

It lists as:
House cleaning: $300
clean, flea/enzyme carpet: $775
replace microwave: $407
2 garage controllers, master bedroom door, bathroom knob: $540
Yard Care: $549
Utilities: $130
Total: $2682
after my deposit : $1682

HELP

I moved out of a 1380 sq/ft 3 bed/2 bath house on May 30th. I lived there 4 and a half years. I got my invoice today June 14th.

I paid a $1000 security deposit, I hadn't expected to get it all back just for the fact my husband and I had been there awhile and I knew they would use some for professional cleaners and carpet cleaning which they state in the original lease.

A little acknowledgment and background on our rental, our microwave broke towards the end of us living there, so we figured they would fix it when we moved out, or normally we would have called and asked for the repair if we had been staying (which they would of done to no charge to us)

However the amount charged after doing some considerable research, is absurd for the house cleaning/carpets (we do own dogs so i understand its necessity) but for THAT price?!

Master bedroom door had a minor crack (not a hole, nothing you can see through) and the bathroom knob in 2nd bathroom had broken clean down the middle when we went to use it. Now the house was very basic, no upgrades, I even looked up the exact pricing of what we had and to replace was about $300 less than what they had quoted.

As for yard, we had a very small front/back yard which we regularly mowed/had weeded right before move out might i add, HOW is it $549. that makes no sense even on a huge yard?!

Utilities I have retrieved all my last ones for month at my new address and have paid. So i am unsure of this charge.

It lists as:
House cleaning: $300
clean, flea/enzyme carpet: $775
replace microwave: $407
2 garage controllers, master bedroom door, bathroom knob: $540
Yard Care: $549
Utilities: $130
Total: $2682
after my deposit : $1682

HELP

Never expect to get a dollar back on any security deposit for a rental unit.

You must now help yourself, if you so choose.

You file claim in small claims court and contest the decision, or let it go an dlive your life.

Bon chance, mon ami.

if you believe the costs are excessive try to work out a settlement. If you are unable to come to an agreement then your option is small claims where you can argue excessive costs and have the landlord justify every dollar.
It sounds like a little planning and effort on your part could have saved you a bunch before you left.

if you believe the costs are excessive try to work out a settlement. If you are unable to come to an agreement then your option is small claims where you can argue excessive costs and have the landlord justify every dollar.
It sounds like a little planning and effort on your part could have saved you a bunch before you left.

Absolutely, hindsight, i should of done the walk through with them, and watched their paperwork closely to see what they were going to charge for and hired people myself. these are outrageous costs, Its almost as if they are using "repairs" to upgrade the home and charge me for it.

Absolutely, hindsight, i should of done the walk through with them, and watched their paperwork closely to see what they were going to charge for and hired people myself. these are outrageous costs, Its almost as if they are using "repairs" to upgrade the home and charge me for it.

Another ruse as old as mankind, I bet some slumlord cave owner used it way back in BC times.

Back