Being taken to court, don't think I am liable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haylee1113

Hi, the woman I used to babysit for is taking me to court to make me pay a vet bill for her dog. She has two pitbulls and while her son was in my care her two dogs got into a fight and one broke the others leg. She let the dog go without medical attention for two weeks because she said it was my job to find a vet and now the dog had to have a $2000 surgery on it's leg. Am I liable if I was taking care of her son and feeding her dogs while she was out of town? She has been harrassing me and my family and calling from ristricted numbers to try and get me to answer so she can harrass me more.

From your posting, it appears you were hired to take care of both her child and the dogs.

Did she leave you information regarding which vet to call should there be a need to do so?

Did you contact her regarding the incident where the two dogs got into a fight? If so, what did she tell you to do?

Gail

The agreement was to watch her son. she then called the day after she left and simply asked me to feed the dogs. Which I did. She left no vet information. I called her as soon as I discovered the dogs, and called her several times through out that day as I took care of one dog who I found lying in a puddle of blood. (This dog is perfect now, I treated all her cuts and cleaned her and all the blood stains around the house before she got back into town) I informed her of the bloody dog first. I spent all the money she paid me to clean up the dogs and the house and I have a witness to the fact that during one of the phone calls that I day I said she needed to take the dog with the broken leg to a vet that I was not trained to wrap the leg. She said she had no money for a vet and I said that I was sorry but I had no money to give her to help her out. She was in no rush to get home and most of the times I called to update about the dogs she didn't even answer. When she returned home I told her that I could try and call a friend for her who was a vet tech, but she would still have to take the dog to a vet even if my friend wrapped the leg.

I gave the woman my friends number and gave my friend the womans number and set up a time for my friend to go to her house. This was two months ago and I found out last week my friend never showed up (yet nither of them called me to inform me the plans fell through, and she never contacted my friend when she didnt show up)

She has been harrassing me for the last three months including saying things that are untrue and have nothing to do with the incident. Spreading statements such as "No wonder God wont give you kid's you are a filthy person." and "I am going to tell everyone you got my four year old drunk." This things are untrue and are causing me a great deal of anxiety.

Let her take you to court. It is very possible she wont win anything. you cannot control the dogs. Also if she is slandering you, you might want to go see an attorney. you might have some damages against her if you can prove she is damaging your reputation. You are also free to counterclaim for that.

Do not let her get to you, and cut off all communication with her until you go to court.

Good luck

Also I have saved text messages, and witness accounts of her showing up at my family's home, as well as phone records of the calls she has made to me. Is this enough to get an injunction of harrassment?

I want to make sure that there is no way I am liable for this so I don't come out of it looking like a bad person because I believe she should pay her own vet bills, when it was her own dog that hurt the other one.

Home owner getting sued for removing abandoned cars

My sister called a tow company to remove some vehicles that had been left at her property, after telling the owner of the vehicles to get them out of there. As he was only leaving them there as a reason to stock her.
Now he is tring to sue her for loss of the vehicles. They had been there for about 9 months. And yes he was a former freind of hers. Is this legal, Plese help. She has no lawyer, but his paralegal told her that she could not remove these vehicles unless she had a written document.

Home owner getting sued for removing abandoned cars

:confused::confused: My sister called a tow company to remove some vehicles that had been left at her property, after telling the owner of the vehicles to get them out of there. As he was only leaving them there as a reason to stock her.
Now he is tring to sue her for loss of the vehicles. They had been there for about 9 months. And yes he was a former freind of hers. Is this legal, Plese help. She has no lawyer, but his paralegal told her that she could not remove these vehicles unless she had a written document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back