Being sued over possession of a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

thofstett8

Back in May, my boyfriend had bought a yorkie puppy for me. Our relationship has recently ended and I naturally took my dog with me. Being upset, he says that I had no right to take the dog, that it was his "property" because he bought her. He is threatening to sue me for her. I would like to know what are my rights and if he would successfully be able to do this. I have been the one purchasing all of her food, medications and I'm the one who takes her to the vet, where I am stated as the owner. I also have printed out his Facebook page where he had posted back then that he was buying her for me. He also owns a very large Rottweiler who is not neutered. I've always felt uncomfortable about this and have stated so on several occasions. He always assured me that I had nothing to worry about. I know his dog is not violent, but I'm concerned for the safety of my small dog that is female. I've been told by several people that know a thing or two about dogs that big dogs and no problems with mating with little dogs. He states that that would be impossible. Do I have anything to worry about if he decides to go through with his threats? And if he does, what would be my next move? Thank you for your time.

Last question first, "Will his very large mean dog, shag your foofoo Yorkie?" This is a legal forum, I haven't a clue. However, I can answer your first question. A dog that was bought as a GIFT is no longer his dog no matter how much he wants to hurt you by taking it. If he sues, he will lose. Printing out the page of Facebook was a good move.

Move on, don't worry about the bent boyfriend, or the un-neutered Rottweiler. Your little dog is safe. :)

Dogs are considered property. If he should take/steal the dog from you he could potentially be charged with theft.
Make sure any licensing is in your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back