Being Sued over Credit Card Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasontorres

I recently received legal notice from the county saying that the credit agency I owe money too is suing me for the money that I owe them.

I got a business loan about two and half years ago for start up my recording studio. Everything was good as far as payments go until my car up and died out of the blue. With no money saved up for such a situation I was forced into buying a car with a huge monthly payment. Something had to give and at the time it was the credit card payment which fell by the wayside.

So here we are years later and it has finally caught up to me. I have tried to avoid the calls and harassment, but I was finally served with papers earlier last week.

I owe the debt, it is legitimate, but I am a college student with parents who can not afford to help pay the $11,000 I owe. I need a lawyer and have no money.

Is there some government appointed lawyer I can talk to? What do i do?

You will need to go to court and tell them you can afford so much a month, a matter a fact it would be better to work out a payment plan w. these folks before you have to go to court. There is no federal attorney or court appointed attorney that is going to help you in your personal debts. This is a civil matter between you and the financial company. Call them and see what sort of payment you can do, if they want all or nothing then they will end up getting a judgement on you. Getting $$ outta that judgement when you are broke will not be easy for them.

My wages have been garnished due to a credit card debt that they have no proof and have submitted no proof that I signed for this card. My wallet was stolen back in 2000 and someone opened a credit card with a $500.00 limit on it. To date they have garnished 2400.00 which I have paid in full, that is almost 5x the amount of the original limit. Now that I have paid all of it they are telling me now I have to pay more interest. I never rec'd anything about this debt untill the garnishment. How much in NYS can they charge you over the limit? I feel that I have taken advantage of and I will never get out from under this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back