Being sued for apt damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dslug

Long story but will try to shorten it down.

To start off we rented from a place for 10 years. The first 8 years we lived in a one bedroom apartment and then wanted more room so we move across the hall to a two bedroom and were there for the next two years.
When we moved in with my five ferrets everything was fine. We were told that ferrets we a "caged pet" so they didn't fall under their pet rules. A few years later they stopped allowing ferrets but we were told that because we had them before they were not allowed we could keep them. So year to year they kept renewing our lease.
6 weeks after signing a new lease we were contacted by the office telling us they were changing their policies and we were going to have to move because they were not allowing ferrets. We were told that they were sending over paperwork for us to sign that will terminate our lease. We were also told that if we didn't sign it we would be evicted in 30 days insted of the 60 day they would give us for signing the new paperwork. So we signed and found a new place to live.
When we went to get a walk through the office person was getting ready to leave and wouldn't do it but told us if we didn't turn in the keys that day we would be charged with another months rent so we turned them in. Think we would do a walkthrough next week. As things turn out 6 six day later we had a flood here and had alot of damage to our new home and compleatly forgot about the walkthrough.
Now after two months we get a letter from an attorney telling us we are being sued by the apartmet complex for $2000.00 damages. Everything from replaceing the refridger to damage to the walls to carpet damage. Well the wall and carpet damages came from the water leaks the popped up ever other month (we live for two years with a large hole in out kitchen ceiling because it would leak so often).
I guess I would like to know if this is right and if I have an recourse.
I do have other people who lived in our building that came over often and saw that what they are claming is not true.
One last thing, we had no damages when we moved out of our one bedroom apartment.
Thank you... D

Last edited:
What state are you in? Landlord-Tenant laws vary from state to state, and even from city to city.
Did you make the landlord or their agent aware of the leaks and subsequent damage?
Did you do an initial walk-through in the last apartment?

I am in Milwaukee county Wisconsin.

The landlord was mde aware of every leak, it would get patched but the mess it left was never addressed.

We did a walkthrough but the landlord can't seem to find the check list and most of my paperwork got destroyed in a flood we had days after moving into our new home.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back