Bark worse than Bite??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeksPie314

Okay, here's the situation. My boyfriend purchased a puppy from SPCA in August and we were told the puppy was up to date on his shots. Unfortunately, they did not specify that the puppy was too young to received his rabie shots (he was only 9 weeks old and he had to be 4 months). We took him home and things were great. On the 5th of this month, we took him on my son's boy scout parade float so the kids could enjoy him. He has a happy demeanor, very friendly and rolls on his back if someone wants to pet him. I believe the noise and the lights may have made him nervous because when we were huddled on the float, a 7 yr old child put his face close to the puppy and he nipped at him. Now, the only person that saw what had happened (believe it or not, amongst all the commotion), was my son, who later claimed the puppy only snapped at the child and didn't bite him. The child didn't yelp or scream, he just started crying and when I realized he was in tears, I asked him what happened. The more I consoled the child, the more tearful he became. He said that the puppy bit his lip and I examined his lip (inside and out). I saw an old sore on the child's lip which had scabbed (inside and out), and around the same area, it was pink from him rubbing it. I asked him if that was there from another time he had hurt his lip and he said yes. Regardless of whether or not my bf's puppy bit him, we removed the dog immediately so that it did not happen again.

Anyhow, the child seemed fine after a few minutes as I continued consoling him. I honestly think he was more stunned and afraid that anything happened. I spoke with his mother after and let her know that this had never happened before and that he claimed to have the sore on his lower lip prior to this situation. She asked him if he was okay, and immediately the child started tearing up again, but shook his head yes, nonetheless. I offered to help anyway I could. She politely said no, he was fine, and went on their way.

An hour later, I received a phone call from the PD and they were following up on the report the child's mother made while in the ER. We ended up quarenteening the puppy with a vet because we then found out about the rabie shots that weren't given like we had believed, and what not.

My question is; My boyfriend is furious because he feels the child should not have stuck his face in the puppy's face. We had mentioned that several times to the kids. Does he have a right to sue the mother of the child for the vet bill for quarenteening the puppy??

Honestly, my personal opinion, is that it is our responsibility, since the dog belongs to him and the dog is legally our responsibility in public, private, etc. I just need this as clarification for my boyfriend since he is so... uh, stubborn. LOL* But that also raises the question about the sore on the child's lip. My son said he saw the dog snap at the child but never made contact. (I demonstrated the difference so my son would understand the difference after he brought it to my attention.) If the sore was stated to be already there, plus what my son saw, does that allow the possibility to sue for whatever it is my bf is trying to get reimbursed for??

Grrr.... I'd like to just be done with it. We've paid the vet bill, the quarenteen and shots are done, and the child and his mother have not brought up anything more. I think it'd open a can of worms... please advise. Thanks!

Okay, here's the situation. My boyfriend purchased a puppy from SPCA in August and we were told the puppy was up to date on his shots. Unfortunately, they did not specify that the puppy was too young to received his rabie shots (he was only 9 weeks old and he had to be 4 months). We took him home and things were great. On the 5th of this month, we took him on my son's boy scout parade float so the kids could enjoy him. He has a happy demeanor, very friendly and rolls on his back if someone wants to pet him. I believe the noise and the lights may have made him nervous because when we were huddled on the float, a 7 yr old child put his face close to the puppy and he nipped at him. Now, the only person that saw what had happened (believe it or not, amongst all the commotion), was my son, who later claimed the puppy only snapped at the child and didn't bite him. The child didn't yelp or scream, he just started crying and when I realized he was in tears, I asked him what happened. The more I consoled the child, the more tearful he became. He said that the puppy bit his lip and I examined his lip (inside and out). I saw an old sore on the child's lip which had scabbed (inside and out), and around the same area, it was pink from him rubbing it. I asked him if that was there from another time he had hurt his lip and he said yes. Regardless of whether or not my bf's puppy bit him, we removed the dog immediately so that it did not happen again.

Anyhow, the child seemed fine after a few minutes as I continued consoling him. I honestly think he was more stunned and afraid that anything happened. I spoke with his mother after and let her know that this had never happened before and that he claimed to have the sore on his lower lip prior to this situation. She asked him if he was okay, and immediately the child started tearing up again, but shook his head yes, nonetheless. I offered to help anyway I could. She politely said no, he was fine, and went on their way.

An hour later, I received a phone call from the PD and they were following up on the report the child's mother made while in the ER. We ended up quarenteening the puppy with a vet because we then found out about the rabie shots that weren't given like we had believed, and what not.

My question is; My boyfriend is furious because he feels the child should not have stuck his face in the puppy's face. We had mentioned that several times to the kids. Does he have a right to sue the mother of the child for the vet bill for quarenteening the puppy??

Honestly, my personal opinion, is that it is our responsibility, since the dog belongs to him and the dog is legally our responsibility in public, private, etc. I just need this as clarification for my boyfriend since he is so... uh, stubborn. LOL* But that also raises the question about the sore on the child's lip. My son said he saw the dog snap at the child but never made contact. (I demonstrated the difference so my son would understand the difference after he brought it to my attention.) If the sore was stated to be already there, plus what my son saw, does that allow the possibility to sue for whatever it is my bf is trying to get reimbursed for??

Grrr.... I'd like to just be done with it. We've paid the vet bill, the quarenteen and shots are done, and the child and his mother have not brought up anything more. I think it'd open a can of worms... please advise. Thanks!

As a pet owner, you really need to educate yourself better. At nine weeks, the puppy was up-to-date on his shots. There should be several more shots in the weeks to come until the rabies shot is given at approximately four months.

In addition, it was not very wise to take the puppy out in public since all his shots have not been given. At that age the puppy is susecptible to many diseases.

Someone (you or dad) should have been supervising the puppy around strangers, and it is apparent that didn't quite happen. I'm sorry but I don't see how anyone else but the dog owners are responsible for any present or future bills.

Well, I completely agree with you about being responsible for the bills etc. And, the dog was being supervised. The dog was between me and the owner and we were sitting close enough to the dog to feel him play, etc. I don't feel you are correct in saying we weren't supervising the dog. It would be like having an animal beside you, you look a way for an instant or to converse with another parent, and because you looked away, your at fault. Incidences happen, regardless of an owner being extremely cautious. And, we are new owners as well as trying to educate ourselves on having a pet. I would appreciate your advise be related to the question of whether or not my bf has a leg to stand on, versus, telling us the obvious and making one feel the way you have. You last statement was sufficient. Thank you.

Well I have to say your question was a shocker! I figured the Mother of the child would have been suing you or something. Your boyfriend's attitude toward the whole thing is stunning. The rabies shot is something you should have caught but it is understandable if you have not owned a puppy before.

Trying to blame the child for getting in the dog's face is just breathtaking! Tell your boyfriend, that ANY TIME a dog bites a child it's going to likely be the dog's fault. The child could have been hitting the dog with a club and it would likely be the dog's fault. The dog was not quarantined because of the bite the dog was quarantined for the lack of rabies shots. That is, as you have understood, completely his liability.

Tell him to be very very thankful the dog either didn't have rabies or worse, that the dogs nip didn't take out an eye or leave a big scar on the child's face. His insensitivity is just beyond words (I'm trying to be very nice here because there is no reason to attack you.).

Having any animal around people is a potentially dangerous situation and you are TOTALLY responsible for what happens, especially to a child. It's something like strict liability. Be glad everything turned out. I hope that answers your question.

Well I have to say your question was a shocker! I figured the Mother of the child would have been suing you or something. Your boyfriend's attitude toward the whole thing is stunning. The rabies shot is something you should have caught but it is understandable if you have not owned a puppy before.

Trying to blame the child for getting in the dog's face is just breathtaking! Tell your boyfriend, that ANY TIME a dog bites a child it's going to likely be the dog's fault. The child could have been hitting the dog with a club and it would likely be the dog's fault. The dog was not quarantined because of the bite the dog was quarantined for the lack of rabies shots. That is, as you have understood, completely his liability.

Tell him to be very very thankful the dog either didn't have rabies or worse, that the dogs nip didn't take out an eye or leave a big scar on the child's face. His insensitivity is just beyond words (I'm trying to be very nice here because there is no reason to attack you.).

Having any animal around people is a potentially dangerous situation and you are TOTALLY responsible for what happens, especially to a child. It's something like strict liability. Be glad everything turned out. I hope that answers your question.

JHarris, you made me look like an angel:angel:p

Glad I could help. I certainly think the OP has the right attitude about everything, but her boyfriend just makes me speechless!

:) Thank you both for your replies. LOL* I couldn't help but giggle a little about the comment about my bf. I can't change him, but I can sure try. :p J/K. And thank you. I think it is our responsibility, and I appreciate your comment JHarris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back