Bank cheque issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckshouse

I deposited a cheque that was made out to my husband. He had signed the back of the cheque along time ago and I was just sitting around . The cheque was five years old. . I thought that if my bank put the money in our account that I was ok to have the money. I withdrawl the money and now the ban says I have until the end of the month to put the money back. I don't have it and can't get it. What kind of legal problem am I looking at? The cheque was for $5800.00. My husband did not know that I cashed the cheque is he legally responsible at all? He was not even in the same state at the time. What should I do if I never pay the money back? What woul happen?

I deposited a cheque that was made out to my husband. He had signed the back of the cheque along time ago and I was just sitting around . The cheque was five years old. . I thought that if my bank put the money in our account that I was ok to have the money. I withdrawl the money and now the ban says I have until the end of the month to put the money back. I don't have it and can't get it. What kind of legal problem am I looking at? The cheque was for $5800.00. My husband did not know that I cashed the cheque is he legally responsible at all? He was not even in the same state at the time. What should I do if I never pay the money back? What woul happen?

No one can say what YOUR bank will do.
But, banks are banks, and they love money.
They hate it when YOU get money that doesn't belong to you.

The bank might eventually ask the prosecutor to press charges against you.
What you have done is a crime.
They might sue you civilly for the $5,800 plus outrageous fees you will eventually owe them.

No one can say, but they will hound you for years to come, if they don't insist the prosecutor bring criminal charges against you.
What charges?
Hard to say, but due to the amount, likely a FELONY of one kind or the other!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back