Bally's Total Fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetpk03

I received a notice from a law firm on behalf of Bally's saying pretty much that I owed around $900. I contacted the law firm and they said that I signed up with them in 2004 (or I think 2005) and that payments were made on the account but did not continue so they are pursuing legal action against me. They said that had my contract which I asked to be sent to me. They did not send the contract because they said I had to contact Bally's to retrieve it myself. I contacted Bally's but they said that they are no longer in charge of my account and to contact LA Fitness which I did but was redirected to Bally's because they said they were not responsible for my account considering the age of it.

So here are a few notes to take in to account:
1. I was a member of Bally's but it was under my parent's account. I was 13-14 at the time. I am 26 years old now.
2. The law firm I contacted said that payments were made on the account but I did not make ANY payments. I did not send any checks, give credit card or checking account info.
3. I have an aunt who I used to live with around the time of the alleged contract who has the same name as me. The law firm said that it's not her, it's me who signed up.
4. The law firm did state that they were pursuing this matter because of the statue of limitations.
5. I've contacted Bally's, LA Fitness, the corporate department of both but to no avail.

How would I be able to get a copy of the contract if I keep getting the runaround from everybody. I would like to resolve this issue without going into the courtroom. I honestly know that I did not sign up with them on my own. I didn't give them any payment information since it was under my parent's account. Also, my mother passed away three years ago so obviously they cannot sue her but since I was a minor at the time of my parent's contract, it should not be legal to pursue me. The law firm said that my account was in 2004 (or 2005) so it is possible for them to pursue me but if I just had the contract I could prove it was not me but I do not know how to get it. Any suggestions? It's such a hassle to deal with but I would like to resolve the issue. The law firm I contacted pretty much told me that they wouldn't help me but highly suggested that I could make a payment plan with them. I pretty much refused because I do not believe I owe them any money. I never signed anything and barely went to the gym.

More than likely this is scam to get you to pay money.
I can cite several reasons as to why you don't owe this debt.
The two main ones are you were a minor.
The other one, the sharp tattle of limitations has tolled.
Bottom line, ignore them.
Don't pay a dime.
The more you communicate, the more likely you are to do something detrimental to your current safe position.

Oh HECK no.

You were 13/14? This is NOT your debt no matter which way you look at it!

If you actually receive a court summons, please come back and let us know so we can perhaps offer you more guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back