Consumer Fraud Bait and Switch?

MikeK-inCO

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I purchased a TV from Best Buy in the middle of the night. It was paid for with my Best Buy card. It was a GREAT deal. Today, they cancelled the order without explanation and now the same TV is listed on their site for twice the price. I've tried to contact them but no answer yet. Was there practice legal? Did we enter a contract when I completed the purchase? Have they violated it? Do I have a case against them?

I purchased a TV from Best Buy in the middle of the night. It was paid for with my Best Buy card. It was a GREAT deal. Today, they cancelled the order without explanation and now the same TV is listed on their site for twice the price. I've tried to contact them but no answer yet. Was there practice legal? Did we enter a contract when I completed the purchase? Have they violated it? Do I have a case against them?

Yes, it's legal, and no, you don't have a case against them. It's in their terms and conditions:

Order Confirmation

Our order confirmation to you does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. At any time after receipt of your order, we may accept, decline, or place quantity or other limits on your order for any reason. We may impose these limits on a per-person, per-household, per-order, or any other basis. If we reject, limit, or otherwise modify your order, we will attempt to notify you using the email address you provide to us. If we cancel an order or part of an order that we've already charged you for, we'll refund you the full amount of the canceled portion of the order.

( https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...ns/pcmcat204400050067.c?id=pcmcat204400050067 )

For starters, I assume we're supposed to infer from your statement that you did this "in the middle of the night" that this was an online purchase and not an in-store purchase. Correct?

Was there practice legal?

What "practice"? You described a single incident, not a practice.

Whether the cancellation was legal depends on the reason for doing it and the terms of the online purchase agreement.

For starters, I assume we're supposed to infer from your statement that you did this "in the middle of the night" that this was an online purchase and not an in-store purchase. Correct?

What "practice"? You described a single incident, not a practice.

Whether the cancellation was legal depends on the reason for doing it and the terms of the online purchase agreement.

Correct. It was online. I think Best Buy was posting great prices to compete with Amazon Prime Day. My apologies for using the term "practice". I guess I should choose my words more carefully. It was a single incident for me. I don't know if anyone else experienced the same. I imagine they must have because I suspect they posted that price in error. It was a really good price.

Correct. It was online. I think Best Buy was posting great prices to compete with Amazon Prime Day. My apologies for using the term "practice". I guess I should choose my words more carefully. It was a single incident for me. I don't know if anyone else experienced the same. I imagine they must have because I suspect they posted that price in error. It was a really good price.

Did you miss my post? Best Buy's got it covered - they followed their terms and conditions.

Back