Bail bond forfeiture and set aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDBLUE

This relates to Louisiana State law and deals with the matter of bail.

In April of 2004, My son was to appear in court related to a DWI. He did not make the court appearance thinking only his attorney must attend.
This resulted in a warrent and bond judgement.
However, after realizing the mistake, there was a hearing, the following week, whereby the warrent was recalled and the bail bond forfeiture was set aside.

The whole matter was concluded 7/20/2005 after a probationary period, the conviction was set aside.

Now, three years later, the person who had provided for bonding (paid $100 to obtain $1000 bond) has now received a letter indicating they must repay the whole $1000 bond. (To my knowledge, she never even got the $100 refunded)

The affected person called to inform the "collection agent" the matter of the set aside. They informed her that they would need a copy of such minutes and that she would still probably have to pay some or most of the bail.

My question is, does this sound like a legal issue or a collection agent trying to cover costs? Can this person be held responsible for a bail bond that was not forfeited?

Help. This lady can not afford this.

Here's what you need to do:

The affected person called to inform the "collection agent" the matter of the set aside. They informed her that they would need a copy of such minutes and that she would still probably have to pay some or most of the bail.

Here's what you need to do:

Sorry, but I missed something. You repeated what has been done. I will be getting the court minutes copy to the lady this weekend to send to the collection agent.

The question was, is she responsible for a bond forfeiture that was set aside within a week of the missed court date?

Q: The question was, is she responsible for a bond forfeiture that was set aside within a week of the missed court date?

A: I will be getting the court minutes copy to the lady this weekend to send to the collection agent.

That is where you will find the answer.

I'm sorry but I'm still missing it.

I have the minutes. The minutes reflect what was posted before, the warrant (for not appearing) was recalled and the bond forfeiture previously rendered was to be set aside.

How /why should she be held liable for the bond amount or any portion of it????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back