Bad repair job

Mgryczkowski

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. About a month ago, it dotted on me and I couldn't figure out why. My wife went to Facebook, asking what shops nearby were good. A guy responded to her stating that he does repairs and comes to wherever we are. He said that he was insured and said his rates were cheap, so I asked him to come fix my car. He determined that the fuel pump was bad. I bought it and had him put it in. It was in my understanding that, as a professional, his job was to get the vehicle stated.

After he put it in, he told my wife that he got it started but it was misfiring and said that 4 of the 6 coils were bad. I picked those up and put them in. He said he'd put them in for an additional charge. I knew how to do it so I told him I could do it. I got them in but the vehicle still wouldn't start. This is when I started having problems getting a hold of the guy. He wouldn't respond to my texts, he wouldn't show up when he said he would. There were 2 occasions where several hours after he was supposed to show up I'd call him and he ensure me he was still coming, only to not show up for several more hours. I understand things come up and you can't make it, that's fine, bit send me a text or call and let me know. Don't make me spot around all day, doing nothing because I'm waiting on you, that's unprofessional.

He finally comes by, hooks up his code reader, and can't figure out what it is and doesn't know the code that came up. He told me he go home, mind you this was about 11pm, hook it up to his laptop to get the codes and get back south me in the morning. After another day of not hearing back from him, I decided to check things out myself. I charged the battery and then was going to try using starting fluid to see if it would start like that so that I knew whether or not it was getting gas. Before I did, I decided to check the fuses again. This was when I noticed that one fuse was out of place. I put it where it was supposed to and it started. I asked my wife and brother in law if they moved that fuse when trying to figure it out and they said no. The guy I paid was the only other one to touch the vehicle.

Note that I got the car started, I thought everything was good. Then a day or so later I start hearing something in the back bouncing around and stated having problems with the car starting again. I go under and check and one of the straps for the gas tank wasn't put on all the way and the tank was coming lose on one end. I manned to put it in and the car was fine for a while.

Last Wednesday my wife was driving on the highway, about an hour away from home and the car died on her with no warning. After a day sitting there with the hazards on we had it towed to shop nearby. After examining it, they determined that the fuel pump was installed incorrectly. So because this guy that I paid didn't do his job correctly and thoroughly, I had to pay another 450 in repairs and a new battery.

My question is can I hold him liable in small claims court for the cost of additional repairs, new battery, and the emotional stress and inconveniences we had because of him not doing his job?

My question is can I hold him liable in small claims court for the cost of additional repairs, new battery, and the emotional stress and inconveniences we had because of him not doing his job?

No, YOU can't hold anyone liable for anything.

You can initiate a small claims court case, file the papers, see that he is served, appear in court, submit our proof, make your argument, all in an effort to convince the judge you deserve recompense.

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. About a month ago, it dotted on me and I couldn't figure out why. My wife went to Facebook, asking what shops nearby were good. A guy responded to her stating that he does repairs and comes to wherever we are. He said that he was insured and said his rates were cheap, so I asked him to come fix my car. He determined that the fuel pump was bad. I bought it and had him put it in. It was in my understanding that, as a professional, his job was to get the vehicle stated.

After he put it in, he told my wife that he got it started but it was misfiring and said that 4 of the 6 coils were bad. I picked those up and put them in. He said he'd put them in for an additional charge. I knew how to do it so I told him I could do it. I got them in but the vehicle still wouldn't start. This is when I started having problems getting a hold of the guy. He wouldn't respond to my texts, he wouldn't show up when he said he would. There were 2 occasions where several hours after he was supposed to show up I'd call him and he ensure me he was still coming, only to not show up for several more hours. I understand things come up and you can't make it, that's fine, bit send me a text or call and let me know. Don't make me spot around all day, doing nothing because I'm waiting on you, that's unprofessional.

He finally comes by, hooks up his code reader, and can't figure out what it is and doesn't know the code that came up. He told me he go home, mind you this was about 11pm, hook it up to his laptop to get the codes and get back south me in the morning. After another day of not hearing back from him, I decided to check things out myself. I charged the battery and then was going to try using starting fluid to see if it would start like that so that I knew whether or not it was getting gas. Before I did, I decided to check the fuses again. This was when I noticed that one fuse was out of place. I put it where it was supposed to and it started. I asked my wife and brother in law if they moved that fuse when trying to figure it out and they said no. The guy I paid was the only other one to touch the vehicle.

Note that I got the car started, I thought everything was good. Then a day or so later I start hearing something in the back bouncing around and stated having problems with the car starting again. I go under and check and one of the straps for the gas tank wasn't put on all the way and the tank was coming lose on one end. I manned to put it in and the car was fine for a while.

Last Wednesday my wife was driving on the highway, about an hour away from home and the car died on her with no warning. After a day sitting there with the hazards on we had it towed to shop nearby. After examining it, they determined that the fuel pump was installed incorrectly. So because this guy that I paid didn't do his job correctly and thoroughly, I had to pay another 450 in repairs and a new battery.

This is why you don't go looking for mechanics on Facebook...did you go to one of those exchange pages? I either take my car to the dealership or I let my brother - who is a mechanic - look at it. I'm not going to trust some random dude on Facebook who says "oh yeah you can trust me.' Lesson learned. Should have just taken it to that shop to start with.

Oh and no he's not liable.

You won't get anywhere. You hired him to do the job and he did it. You apparently had no warranty of service to rely on. I don't see you being successful trying to sue him.You tried to save a few bucks and it backfired. You took a risk and you were dealt the consequences.

You might be able to convince a judge to award you the money back that you paid him, but that's it. You don't get the rest of that stuff.

Back