Bad mmechanical advice from pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacehick

I bought a used car & knew it had an issue as the engine light was on. I had this checked at auto zone(2/22/09). They advised it was likely the cam shaft system or possibly an issue with the timing belt and that a mechanic should check it right away. Took it to a mechanic shop 2 days later(2/24/09) for this issue, windshield wipers were not working and the A/C was suddenly not blowing cold. The A/C was fixed right away and a motor was ordered for the wipers. The invoice for this visit shows my complaints were due to wipers not working, engine light being on and A/C not blowing cold. Mechanic invoiced me for electrical diagnostic - determined wiper motor bad - A/C diagnostic - determined there was a freon leak - & repair to the a/c leak. 5 days later he invoiced me for wiper motor and repair to the wiper system. He verbally told me that the timing belt looked recently replaced and that I had at least 20,000 to 25,000 mile of use left in it. He also verbally advise me that the cam shaft pulley sensor was going bad, but that it should not effect the performance of the vehicle and was not a major worry. As I had just bought the car, then put an additional $425 or so in repairs I thought the idea of holding off on addl repairs sounded great of course! 1 month later my transmission went out and I ended up having to buy a used one & have it installed ($1100 by 4/2/09.) Tech at trans shop stated that the cam shaft pulley sensor being out may have led to the trans failure. Now, my engine has blown out (5/30/09.) Mechanic at the shop it is currently at reports that the timing belt broke and the engine is ruined. Estimates a $2500 repair. Bought the car for $2000 plus taxes. Is the mechanic that gave me bad advice about timeframe of needed repairs liable?

Is the mechanic that gave me bad advice about timeframe of needed repairs liable?

Only a court knows for sure. He might be liable, if you can prove that he gave negligent advicew and that this caused the damage to your car. I think it's pretty clear you relied on it, and would have done the repairs had it not been for it. It is less clear that he was negligent. Why did the engine blow? What effect would a faulty cam shaft pulley sensor have on the transmission? ("May have led to the failure" may not be good enough.) I would consult a local lawyer versed in repair lawsuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back