Bad mechanic

Brien Delaney

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My mechanic changed my radiator and forgot to top off the transmission fluid. Now my transmission quit and he gave me some song and dance as to why it quit. It's been there for three months now. He claims that he is having a hard time finding a transmission. I want him to cover the cost but I don't think he will. Should I pay him and then sue? What do I do?

My mechanic changed my radiator and forgot to top off the transmission fluid.

Why would a mechanic who has been hired to change a radiator do or be expected to do anything with the transmission or transmission fluid?

Can't really address the rest of your post without an answer to that question.

Many vehicles have a radiator for the transmission embedded in the radiator for the engine coolant. If you replace the system you need to refill/bleed both ssytems.

Last edited:
Why would a mechanic who has been hired to change a radiator do or be expected to do anything with the transmission or transmission fluid?
Because transmission fluid coolers are often part of the radiator.

The two tubes at the bottom of the radiator are for the transmission fluid lines. Replacing a radiator involves disconnecting the lines and crimping the rubber hoses or taping off the metal lines to avoid losing fluid.

Hard to imagine any mechanic missing that. It's so elementary as to be instinct after even just a few radiators.

cuc886.jpg

Should I pay him and then sue? What do I do?

If you pay him it means that you agreed to pay him for the work. A lawsuit would just get dismissed.

If you want to sue him, take your car to another shop, have it repaired, pay the bill, sue for the amount of the bill and prove (not just say) that he was negligent in not checking the transmission fluid.

How old is your car and how many miles on it?

Back